Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The GeeksToGo Car Park

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Not enough liberty inside a Liberty?

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
No, I need more liberty! :)

I do like the Wrangler, it's full of charm. They make a local variant here, it's made for the army but they used to sell it to everyone, it's called Storm. I once went on a 4X4 trip, we were in that monster, absolute beast, takes everything that stands in its way. Sure, the armbrake doesn't work, the clock is long gone, and everything is covered with a thick layer of dust - it's a fun car. I even got the chance to drive it (it's was in the desert, not much police there :)) half of the time, it was really fun :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Its not to bad though for two adults and one kid, its the back seat area thats a little tight.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yes - it's the back seat I was in :) I felt a bit claustrophobic, that might have had something to do with the windows... They're a bit tight...

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Nice cars everyone!! Well mine doesn't compare, I'm only seventeen and I am lucky to have my dads old car. Its a Pontiac Grand Prix:

Posted Image

Mine is a blue version. The millage is only 70k and I don't drive it much cause of traffic and gas prices at the moment but she can really fly.

Soorena

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
You get your driving license early. I'm 15.5, I can only start my Theory Studies (non-practical) at 16.5, then after I pass it I am allowed to go to practice lessons... Some people manage to get a license at 17 but it's quite rare :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes I feel your pain but the day will come and ohh when it does its sweeeeet!!! I got my G1 on my birthday and I got my G2 on my birthday the next year thanks to some connections my mom has. G1 would be the Theory Studies you are talking about and G2 is the actual test.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 02 December 2007 - 06:58 PM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
That's nice :)

Actually, we have serious limitations on young drivers - it makes driving not fun at all. Apart from the standard 6am-12am regulations, you can't drive more than one person with you during your first year or so, and you must drive about 3 months with an experienced driver (pretty much ruins the purpose of driving yourself). That's because young drivers are often involved in serious car accidents, they drive heaps of junk, too fast - then they kill themselves along with other people.

I won't mention the ridiculous insurance prices.

Oh, and to get tested on G1, you have to come at 4am (I'm not kidding, people do come at 4am) to book yourself a place in the long line that awaits every day in the local branch of the Transportation Ministry.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
man....haha i got my license when i was 15 (i think)....had to take something like 3 months (maybe....probably less) of driver's education (theory and practical all at the same time)....no learner's permit or nothing....and my instructor was a nutjob (he used to light his hand on fire while you were driving to see how you reacted...he also had these sunglasses that were smeared with vasaline, he'd make you drive into the sun then offer you these glasses that you couldn't see out of....it was great)...then after that you just go to the courthouse and take the written test and the driving portion and you're done...no restrictions after that...fully licensed

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*troy does not want to be anywhere near dsenette when he's driving... :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you don' t know what you're talking about...i'm actually a very skilled driver (though...not so good with a manual transmission...though that's because i've only driven one twice....once when i was like 14...and once last week)....i drive really fast...but i always know what the car is doing at the time....i also generally know what the cars around me are doing (getting out of my way usually)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

i drive really fast...

Oh dear... :)

but i always know what the car is doing at the time....

"and right now, we are flying over that last hump..."

"now we are sliding out of control because I took a corner too fast..."

"oh dear, now we are rolling because I clipped the kerb at high speed..."

As long as you know, I guess it's okay :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I learned how to drive a manual back in my home country when I was 9 years old my dad used to push the seat forward till it couldn't go any further. We used to drive in this huge field that was like a desert outside town and I used to be able to drift and do anything I wanted. I picked up many skills those days, but now I gave up on drifting, I had a chance to show my skills but I chose the right road to life instead, it's less risky.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh look, I just found a video of dsenette driving...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, drifting is cool, but not on the roads, where too many variables make it risky. I like watching it at the local race track, though...