Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FF and IE closing down when accessing specific website

• Please log in to reply

Gourmetski

Gourmetski

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello anyone who reads this,

For about a week now I have problems with accessing a few specific websites.
The following 2 are the ones I know of certainly that they make both FireFox and Internet Explorer close down:
http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://oblivion.game.../wiki/Main_Page

Both my browsers nicely load up the web page fully, then without a warning they close. No error message, nothing...

I have run a full anti spyware sweep with Hitman Pro (v 2.6.7.0) and additional virus scans (NOD32, Panda, symantec tool) nothing revealed a virus or trojan or spyware (still) being present on my system.

Still there seems to be something on my system which makes both my webbrowsers close without warning when viewing those specific websites...
I haven't installed, removed any software nor changed any settings in the last few months. So it is very frustrating to have this happen all of a sudden...

Is there anyone able to help me to solve my problem?

p.s. if I need to post some hijackthis or other information, please let me know. I'll then try to post all the information required to help you help me...

Kind regards,

Gourmetski

Edited by Gourmetski, 28 November 2007 - 10:29 AM.

Advertisements

Gourmetski

Gourmetski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry to have been so impatient...

Turns out that my father who uses Internet Explorer only (and I use FireFox only) accidently had taken in some adware / toolbar program. The program itself already was removed. though a link of the toolbar with both browsers still existed...

I checked the Configuration Screen --> Software list again and saw some things I thought to smell 'adware' and removed them.

So far I no longer have seen either Internet Explorer or FireFox close down on me while visiting either website...

Perhaps this could be used as an additional check to see if you have some software installed which you don't want to have and uninstall it prior to adware removals...

Kind regards

Gourmetski

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Good to hear you solved the problem on your own - though, a tip for you: Firefox is far safer than Internet Explorer. My recommendations are to use Firefox as a default browser for everything.

One more tip - if you're wary of adware coming through Firefox, get AdBlock Plus and also NoScript. That'll stop most nasty stuff from attacking your browser and computer.

~Kelvin