Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage always high!

• Please log in to reply

jimmystaxwax

jimmystaxwax

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, my CPU usage is always running very high. its frequently maxed out at 100% even when performing the simplest task, like for example browsing the web, when i change to a new page it spikes up to 100% for about 3 seconds. If I'mm burning a DVD or downloading a large file its also maxed out for the entire time.

system specs:

MSI kt880 motherboard
AMD sempron 2500+ cpu
512 Ram
400 Watt PSU (10A on the 12V rail)

Also my CPU was running at 1.05 Mhz with a FSB speed of 100 in the BIOS, so i changed the FSB to 166 and now its running at 1.75 Mhz like its supposed to but i don't notice any processing power difference. I read on another forum that if the PSU isnt supplying enough power it could cause the CPU to run at a lower rate.

Should i upgrade the power supply, install more RAM or buy a new CPU altogether?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers!

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
For starters, did you overclock the clock and fsb speed? and the RAM and your powersupply should have no effect on your cpu utilization. What you have to ask is the following:

-Are there any processes that are using cpu more then others, if so what are they and do you need them running?
-Have you got any virus or spyware software that uses real-time scanning? these can usually take up power and usually have scheduled scans.