Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'd Like To Purchase A New Power Supply Unit

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Good afternoon,

I've been meaning to get a new psu for quite some time now. I built my first computer two years ago and purchased a no name brand generic 450watt psu for $20. I needed it at the time just to build my system and test things out before getting comfortable. I was going to replace it with something better and a bit more reliable long ago but I guess I got "too comfortable".

My psu still works but I don't trust it now that I have quite a bit of expensive hardware in my pc. During the process of building my pc I purchased a lot of expensive equipment such as my $400 sound card, $200 rare cpu, and other such things. I also attach a lot of expensive hardware to my usb ports every now and than such as my 500GB Seagate Free Agent Pro backup drive, or 80GB I Pod.

As mentioned my psu still works to this day, but I am beginning to lose confidence in it. For starters every time I open the side of my pc case to blow off any internal dust the psu begins to howl when I boot it up for the first time. The howl lasts about 1-2 minutes and than goes away never to be heard from again. I can than go on my pc day in and day out restarting and turning it off without a problem. It will not make that sound until I go off and dust the inside of my pc again with a can of compressed air, and than reboot for the first time. I was told that this may be dust collecting in the bearings of the psu fan trying to spit it's way out because I probably blow the can of compressed air around too much. I was also told by someone that it could be some type of residue the can of compressed air leaves behind that my psu does not like and tries to spew out!

Nevertheless it has occurred to me that the explanations my close confidant suggested may be wrong. The reason being because my psu howls during other instances such as when I unplug my pc for over 30 minutes, and when I move my pc around. I'm a bit weary of this psu and really want to change it. The lights go out in my area a lot and brownouts occur as well. I know I need a UPS box too but first things first no?

Anyways the psu in my pc is 450watts so I'd like to get the same wattage if possible since I find no reason to have more [my pc runs fine as it is]. It also has to be a 20 pin psu because my motherboard doesn't take anything else. I have absolutely no idea what psu I should get. I have no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to psu's. To be honest I'm lost!! I don't even know which brand names are the best and which ones to stay away from. I'm hoping more than one of you can suggest a very good psu that can last me a long time. One that would be reliable and handle bad electrical currents and problems due to the air conditioner at home turning on or heater if possible. Now I know that's more of a job for an UPS box but I hear some psus filter out bad stuff which is what I want. I also hear some are good agaisnt surges and power outs. Oh and one more thing IT MUST BE A VERY VERY VERY QUIET PSU BECAUSE I AM AN AUDIO ENGINEER WHO RECORDS AUDIO IN THE VERY SAME ROOM MY PC IS IN. Any noises will be recorded when I'm working [even a snap of a finger]. So it is very important that I get one that is as silent as possible [it doesn't have to have so many fans inside - one seems like enough].

BUDGET: $50-$100 MAX

Here go my pc specs in case your wondering what's under the hood:

HP Vectra VL400
Lin Lin Socket Adapter
P3 Socket 370 (Tualatin 1.4Ghz)
512MB PC133 Infineon Sdram
80GB Western Digital IDE Hard Drive
120GB Western Digital IDE Hard Drive
10GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive
500GB Seagate Free Agent Pro External Usb/Esata Hard Drive
LG Dual Layer DVD-RAM +/-/R/RW (x2)
Windows Xp Home w/Service Pack 2
ATI Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB 128Bit AGP4X V+D+T
M Audiophile 192 Professional Sound Card
HP Ultra VGA 1280 17'' CRT Monitor
Deer 450 Watt PSU w/20/24 Pin Connector
Mad Catz Analog Joystick USB Pc Controller
Cooler Master Silent Led Light Fans (x3)
Mutant Mods Acrylic Atx/Micro Atx Case

Thank you very much for your time my fellow geeks!

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Looking at those specs you would be best suited using a 400-500w psu

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really need to read up on power supplys at johnny Guru's forum.

http://www.jonnyguru...orums/index.php

You will get more information than you will ever need by reading everything you can there.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hey Superstar, how you doing?

Think you're very sensible to upgrade the PSU to something decent! Here's a bit of advice which I hope will help...

1. I reckon 450W should be your absolute minimum when buying a new PSU. You've got a lot of hardware, especially drives that need powering and it won't do any harm to get a bigger PSU (i.e 500 - 600W)

2. There are plenty of decent brands to pick from including Coolermaster, Antec, Corsair, OCZ, SeaSonic, Silverstone, Enermax, Hiper, Tagan etc.

3. Basically any decent PSU manufacturer:
* will have a website with the full specs of their PSUs
* should offer at least a 3 year warranty
* the power rating (often stated as part of the model name/number) should be the continuous power output, not the peak or max power output.

The manufacturer's website should also provide info about the noise level. As an example:
Corsair 450W - non-modular, 5 year warranty, 21.5db upto 400w, 29db at 450W
Hiper Type R 580 - modular, 3 year warranty, 580W continuous, 630W peak, 20db under normal load
Coolermaster Realpower 520W - modular, 520W continuous, 600W peak, fan speed control <16db, 5 year warranty

In place of a UPS, it would be advisable to buy a surge protector instead - these are much cheaper & better than no protection at all.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hey wow my good ole friends SRX600 and Samm hey how are you guys doing? I hope well!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the both of you. I wish you guys nothing but the best in the new year.

I'm going to read up on that page you left the url for SRX600... & hey thanks for the info Samm. When I'm done with all of that I'll post a couple of psus I think I'd like to buy and than maybe you guys can help me pick one! Thank you so much for your time!

Bye for now!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Merry Christmas to you too, Superstar.