Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Install XP With Pci/Agp Devices Connected Or Is That Bad?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I have windows xp home edition with sp2 and would like to do a fresh install on my pc. But I have my soundcard, usb card, and video card connected to the pci/agp slots. And I'm wondering if it's okay to do a fresh install while all of my pci/agp slots have components connected to them. I don't know if your supposed to disconnect all of these components, install xp, and than install each component one by one with their own software disc. I hate taking out pci/agp cards because it takes up a lot of my time and it's very stressful on me since I always feel like I'm going to break something.

You see what I wanted to do is basically install windows xp with all of my pci/agp components still connected, and than when xp's install is done just install the drivers for all of my components. Is what I want to do bad for my system or my components or is it ok? I don't want to ruin any of my cards or cause a bad xp installation. My sound cards instructions say the drivers should be installed prior to installing the pci card, but my video card instructions say install the agp card and than install the drivers so I'm confused. I don't want to damage anything and just want to install xp without taking out any cards.

Please give me some advice.

Thank You

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll be fine. Its external devices that you should unplug or turn off though - things like printers, scanners, USB modems, etc.