Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade video card help

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I'm trying to upgrade my current Saphire Radeon X800 GTO 256mb video card. I'm having issues in new games with tearing, or so I'm told. I'm wondering what to look forin core clock, capacity, memory interface, memory clock and memory clock... I prefer ATi cards, and I'm looking to be able to support dual monitors, and the card is to take up only 1 expansion slot. PCI express X16. If anyone can let me know what is best, to keep my current card or look to buy a newer card below $200.

Advertisements

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Honestly, nVidia make better cards than ATi, despite your preference. Benchmarks and tests prove that most nVidia products in the same price range usually outperform those from ATi. I would recommend looking at some nVidia cards, like maybe the 7900GS/GTX. What games are you playing by the way, and what power supply do you have?

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
currently I have no problems with americas army, and BF2. I have been having problems with Crysis, BF 2142, Age of Empires, COD4 and a few others. Mostly games like Age of empires i have problems with. I have a 500 Watt Modular power supply. I might look into Nvidia, I have always had ATI, so I'll consider it. I just don't know as much about Nvidia as I do ATI.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Take a look at the HD3850 (they'll be hard to find in stock though), it's actually dominating its segment of the market right now.
While nVidia is dominating the high end of the market, they aren't winning all aspects of it, you simply cannot (unless there was a monopoly).\
Do you have a model number for your PSU, though pretty well any PSU should power this card no problem.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 November 2007 - 10:02 PM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I have a 500 watt Ultra X-connect Power supply. I was wondering if this could be a power issue, because I have had crashes when running the games. These are weird crashes though, because my computer will go black and not respond unless I turn it off or press restart. Unlike a normal crash that will auto restart the computer. I looked at that card, and I like it, I'm wondering if I should be looking for a 512 mb card now that games are becoming more demanding. Also if anyone has a suggestion for an nVidia card, i will be open to taking a look.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What resolution do you game at, that will tell me if you need more video memory.
Can you list your current system specs.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I run it in either 1024 X 768 or 800 X 600

Pow Max Case
Athalon 64 X2 4200
ABIT KN8 Series
ATI Radeon X800 GTO
PCI Sound Audigy 2 Card
PCI Firewire Card
PCI Wireless Card
5.1 Surround Sound
80 GB IDE OS Hardrive 7200 RPM 8mb cache (seagate)
160 GB IDE Storage Hardrive 7200 RPM 8mb cache (Western Digital)
2 GB Ram (dual Channel) pc3200 (1gig each)
Combo Drive
DVD Burner
500 Watt Ultra X-connect modular Power supply
360 WD External Hard drive (My Book Premium)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ultra X-connect PSU's are low quality PSUs. Adding this card onto your current build might be to much for it.
Based on what your describing, it already sounds like your PSU is beginning to fail.

Your gaming at low resolutions, this card will be more then enough for you, same with the video RAM. Generally speaking, more video RAM doesn't create a better video card.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 November 2007 - 10:57 PM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I think I'm having a cooling problem... I've been reading up on forums, and they have been saying that your operating temp should be around 70c I am pushing 90c I jumped from 70 to 90 in like 5 min... so I think i'm gonna clean out my case, and check some fans, maybe reposition some cables to get some better air flow... any suggestions or if I'm wrong about the temp problems let me know...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Video card will overheat if there don't get enough power from the PSU. Though I'm doubtful that this is your problem.
That card is operating on the warm side, keep me updated and let me know if you can bring these temps down. Also, I know this may seem stupid, but you'd be surpirsed. Can you turn on your computer and double check that this card's fan does indeed run. Some times they fail without warning.
James

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I cleaned out my case, positioned my hard drives so they are out of the way of the fans, I made sure all the fans were running (including the video card fan), and I dusted out the entire case and I am still receiving the same results. I even moved a hotter wireless card down a PCI slot and swaped it with a Firewire card to prevent extra heat from getting to the card, and I am still getting the same read out. On triXX reader, I have the mode on standard, fan speed is at 100% 99.9% of the time, VPU clock is at 399.25, VPU temp is right now 120.8, was at 70 and 90, and my board temp is 82 degrees with a memory clock of 492.75. If this helps at all on telling what is wrong plz let me know.

This is running at idle, with just windows updates going on behind triXX. Noting new at all added or subtracted... I don't understand... I will check a video game shortly, after I get a chance to try one I will let you know if the problem continues with the tearing or what ever it is called. Hope dusk was the problem (crosses fingers)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Different softwares tend to show different things for example Everest Ultimate which I have shows about 10 degrees high, the gigabyte easyTune shows normal temps around 29 - 39 C and the bios shows 35-49 C. So try looking at different softwares. Personally I think the BIOS is the most accurate but I have heard of people proving it otherwise.

Soorena

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I looked through my BIOS and I didn't find anything to read temperature or fan speed other than the CPU... Can you suggest another program to use, or another way to get another reading to compare readings? Oh, and by the way. For some reason it will operate at 61 degrees, then it will jump up to like 90 with a small rotating graphic on the actual TRIXX readout program. kinda wierd. I wonder if it is having problems running graphics period...

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Do you have another video card you can use instead so we can see if its the video card or the mobo that has problems?

Soorena

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
no, this is my only video card... Any thoughts on what could be wrong if it runs fine on low graphic loads, like windows, but it runs hot on graphic loads?