Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"media disconnect" problem

• Please log in to reply

hoomz

hoomz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I tried browsing around to find an answer, but I've tried whatever I can find, and still nothing seems to be working... So here's a bit of background info:
After changing my modem, I reconnected my netgear WGR614 wireless router to it, and after a little bit of fiddling, my main pc started working fine. At the time, one of my laptops was detecting the wireless networks, but another was not. In attempts to fix one, now my second laptop is also having the same problem. If i use an ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the netgear router, it works fine. BUT as soon as i remove the wire, doesn't work. I tried resetting the routers, tried the wireless zero connection steps, after doing ipconfig in the dos window i get a "media state...media disconnected" error under the Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection header.
here's what i get when i do ipconfig/all :
Windows IP configuration
Host name: XXXX
Primary Dns suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP routing enabled: No
WINS Proxy enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection specific DNS suffix:
Description: Intel <R> PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address: 00-16-D3-0E-86-4F
Dhcp enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
IP address: 192.168.1.3 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Connection:
Media state: Media disconnected
Description: Intel <R> PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Physical Address 00-18-DE-32-23-B3

******************* Mind you, this shows up only if I have the ethernet cable in, if not then both connections show up as media state: media disconnected.
Also, I had manually put in the IP addresses and gateway numbers since leaving them to do it automatically hadn't worked, and someone had suggested these addresses ...

I tried to be as detailed as possible... any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Advertisements