Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many Issues and StartDrv error

• Please log in to reply

Elysia

Elysia

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, I recently had a run in with what I believe to be a virus, but as my computer knowledge is a bit lacking, it could be a variety of things. I will explain what happened. I began to get popups in the right lower corner about downloading some Anti-Spyware program. When I tried to right click the program as it slid over on the tool bar, it would hide. Immediately following a popup would come up trying to get me to buy a pc-scanner. Then, the background changed, With a message reading something along the lines of, "Your computer has been breached, SEEK Professional Assistance!" Although, I believe this to be a virus. I ran AntiVir, and it cleared a lot of the trojans I had. I successfully got my task manager as well as run to work following online steps. But, I still continue to notice new programs loading. And I have been getting pop ups "From Internet Speed Monitor". I am now getting an error message every time I boot saying that I have a startdrv error. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Advertisements

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
You have been infected with malware (malicious software).

Whatever you do, do NOT under any circumstances download the programs it tells you to or click any of its links.

Can you please describe what program(s) was offered, and give more information regarding the startdrv error. Also, are you able to actual get to your desktop even though the error message is there?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hi there Elysia and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Please complete all the steps here. And after completion if you are still having problems (and you may not be) then please make a new post in the Malware Forum and include your HijackThis Log in that post. When a Malware Staff member advises you that your computer is clean and clear of any malware if you are still having problems then please return to this thread for further assistance.
Please be patient and remember we are all volunteers - someone will help you as soon as is possible. Please do not respond to your own post in the Malware Forum as our staff look for posts without any responses in which to start helping. If you haven't received a response after three days then please make a new post in The Waiting Room with a link to your topic in the Malware Forum.

Edit: I see you have posted your HijackThis Log in the Malware Forum :)

Edited by frantique, 29 November 2007 - 05:12 AM.

Elysia

Elysia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for helping. Well I got this virus, or I noticed the problems on roughly November 9th. It was a program for a pc-scanner, I am sorry I cannot be more helpful. I referred to this site quite a few times as a tool, and ran AVG/Antivir. I was able to clear the problem with my background changing. I also was able to get my task manager running again using online help once again. Although, I still continue to spot new processes running. I will stop them and go into msconfig and have them not load at start up. But, this only helps for a short period of time. The startdrv error started yesterday. At boot, a message reading Startdrv error. Sorry for the inconvience, Debug, Ignore, Send Message(roughly).. Although, I feel I have done everything in my power to get rid of them and I am finally swallowing my pride and seeking G2G help :) . Sorry, Last night was my birthday and I didn't realize I should have just started in the malware section with my HJT Log. The link you posted is just to terms and use? Thanks again for the help. I am deeply hoping you will be able to rid me of my issues. Another thing I thought I would mention, The computer appears to run normal, and my problems might be minor and fairly easy to remove but I am in a very tight spot with money and I will be in an even tighter spot minus a computer. Thanks again