Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good, cheap video card

• Please log in to reply

blues_bogan

blues_bogan

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times by now and i apologize for asking it again :)

I want to start playing games on pc but when i tried to install and play fifa 08 i just got a black screen and i think the problem might be my video card, or lack of one. Everything is onboard basically.

I have a gig of ram and a 2.8ghz processor so the only other reason i think it wouldnt be working is the video card.

If someone could recommend a decent video card for a reasonably cheap price (under $100) it would be very much appreciated. I honestly have no idea about this kind of stuff so would be nice to get a few people opinion. I plan to buy it online, ebay, since theres no computer shops in my area...

Cheers :)

Advertisements

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I think you should wait and save up 200-250 and then come back and ask this question again.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times by now and i apologize for asking it again :)

I want to start playing games on pc but when i tried to install and play fifa 08 i just got a black screen and i think the problem might be my video card, or lack of one. Everything is onboard basically.

I have a gig of ram and a 2.8ghz processor so the only other reason i think it wouldnt be working is the video card.

If someone could recommend a decent video card for a reasonably cheap price (under $100) it would be very much appreciated. I honestly have no idea about this kind of stuff so would be nice to get a few people opinion. I plan to buy it online, ebay, since theres no computer shops in my area...

Cheers :)

You do have a graphics card, if you didn't you'd get no display and the PC wouldn't even boot up.

What are the specs of your PC?
If you don't know then please download and run SysSpec. Run the file > click on the system button > click edit > click copy to clipboard and then paste it with your reply.

blues_bogan

blues_bogan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
My graphics card is an onboard one, it alright for what i use it for just web browsing and stuff but im starting to get into a few games and my pc wont run it.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM): 896 MB
CPU: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2800.9 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: SiS 661FX | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L | E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552U | F: EF3971E TQV550K
:
COM Ports: COM3 | COM4 | COM5 | COM6 | COM7 | COM8 | COM9 | COM10 | COM11 | COM12 | COM13 | COM1 | COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 74.5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 47.0GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
:
Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
Product Make:
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 080805 GBT 42302e31
Time Zone: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-8S661FXMP-RZ
Modem: Bluetooth Fax Modem
Bluetooth DUN Modem
Bluetooth LAP Modem
Bluetooth LAP Modem #2

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I'm not surprised you're having problems with a SiS 661FX integrated graphics card, they are really poor.

Unfortunately you only have a 8x AGP slot not one of the newer PCI-E (PCI Express) slots so your choice will be more limited.

Cheap isn't always the best option, in my opinion it's false economy as the card would need to be replaced much quicker than a more expensive and better one would.

Buying electrical things off EBay is always a risky business, you might want to try buying it online from a reputable e-tailer.

At the $100 mark you should be able to get a Nvidia Geforce 7600GS, which is capable of running Bioshock on mostly medium settings. You could also get an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro for around that price as well.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 29 November 2007 - 05:50 AM.

blues_bogan

blues_bogan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for the advice, id be looking at around $150AUD for that model on ebay. Anything else that could work for a bit cheaper? Id probably be best waiting until after xmas to buy it anyway. Saving up for schoolies week in a weeks time aswell so probably not the best time for me to be buying this sort of stuff :)

I might try to install it on the laptop tomorrow and see if that works...

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Oops I thought you meant US Dollars. :) I don't really know the prices in Australia.

There's the Geforce 7300 for just under $100AUD but the performance isn't going to be earth shattering, I would recommend spending the extra.