Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista and computer freeze issues.

• Please log in to reply

symigem

symigem

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi guys!

From my basic computer awareness, I think my problem is Vista. And I'm sure its something simple like a driver compatibility issue but thats why you are all here to help me out! :)

Here's the deal. I have I new laptop, an Acer Aspire 5720, Intel core 2 duo processor with ...1.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache and so on, the laptop was bought with Vista so I dont think its like my computer is choking on Vista or anything.

I also have the Tune Up 2007 Utilities program which I've run to fix any registry or hard disk issues and to optimise all settings for the way in which I want the computer to run, which is basically just for performance rather than appearance on a home computer used for internet predominantly.

So what happens is, I'm on the internet with an external modem DSL connection and maybe twice or three times a day the internet will just stop working. Not disconnect, just stop working. I can't disconnect and reconnect because when I open control panel it freezes, I open task manager and all attemps to close the unresponding control panel window doesnt work, my 'connect to the internet' icon is unresponsive when I try to click on the status to try and disconnect it or atleast see how I'm sending and receiving info. The only thing I can do is restart. I mean I know that if the internet becomes responsive and you are downloading something to pause all tasks and see if that works, but I do and it doesnt help. I'm also using Firefox, I mean its better than IE right?
I was thinking maybe my modem needs a Vista driver? Or something? Its wierd because I have a DSL modem bought directly from my ISP like a few weeks back, so it should be Vista compatible right? My modem is a BAUDTEC brand, if that helps you guys diagnose the prob.
Any more info needed?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Thanks soo much! :)

Advertisements