Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot past dell splash screen

• Please log in to reply

Introspect

Introspect

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a dell desktop, and windows started to slow way down and wasn't responding, so I restarted the computer. Now when it boots, it shows the dell screen and then a black screen with a white cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner. It won't allow me into any of the boot menus nor will it boot from disk (to repair xp). It won't allow me to do anything from the dell splash screen, nor will it allow me to type anything on the next screen. Any ideas?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Introspect,
Turn off your computer. Then turn it back on and immediately press F12. From the boot menu chose diagnostics(Either just diagnostics or Hard drive Diagnostics) report back if any errors or if system says test passed.

Introspect

Introspect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It won't do anything when you push F12, it just beeps (from the cpu, not the speakers)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Introspect welcome to geekstogo,

Are you pressing it when you see the dell screen? Do you get any error messages? Your computer may have numbers on the front or back of your system what numbers are lit if any?

Introspect

Introspect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes, I'm pushing it at the dell screen, and no, I'm not getting any error messages. I don't have numbers, but I have letters (A, B, C, D) on the back. A and B are lit green, C and D are lit orange.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi introspect,

What kind of desktop do you have? Alternatively, what is the service tag on your machine?

Introspect

Introspect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
service tag is 8ZS4761

Introspect

Introspect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for everyone's help, but I have to leave for work now, will be back tonight to try some more troubleshooting

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Okay Introspect,

Your LED code shows a problem with a device attached to your computer. Let's start by clearing your BIOS settings. If you open your case, find your RAM modules. You can find plenty of pictures looking around. If you look right of the RAM modules, on the right edge of the motherboard, you will see a jumper labeled CLR CMOS. move the jumper from pins 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. Wait five seconds, and move the jumper back to where it was. Power up the computer and see if the problem continues.
If it does, disconnect all devices from the computer except for the monitor. This includes the keyboard, mouse, USB drives, etc. Try powering up your computer again.
If this doesn't fix it, open your case and remove all expansion cards (sound cards, network cards, etc) from your mother board. Leave the graphics card (the card you monitor plugs into). Now try again. See if this fixes it, or check the LEDs on the back and see if the ABCD changes.

Let us know what happens!

Edited by The Admiral, 29 November 2007 - 11:28 AM.

Introspect

Introspect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
you're not going to believe this....my brother came home tonight and I walked in and it was working. I asked him what he did and he goes "I don't know, I punched some buttons and restarted it and it worked" After like 5 hours of me working on it this morning! Guess that's how it goes.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Introspect Glad you got your system working.

kanpyo

kanpyo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop, Only I can't fix it. I thought if I hooked up the VGA monitor from the connector on the back of the laptop it would work, but it hasn't. It replies with the same problem.

froboy

froboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

you're not going to believe this....my brother came home tonight and I walked in and it was working. I asked him what he did and he goes "I don't know, I punched some buttons and restarted it and it worked" After like 5 hours of me working on it this morning! Guess that's how it goes.

would be really really helpful if you could find out what your brother pressed... cause im facing that exact same problem that you had, and so far ive tried to run diagnostics but i dont have the dell diagnostics cd =="

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: froboy

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on a topic that hasn't had a response in almost 2 years(Jan2008) you probably won't get much help.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

MizzAdriana

MizzAdriana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The same thing happend to me.ughh i know its soo terrible it was working just fine yesteryday but today once my dad gave it back after using it.All of a sudden it stopped working.Do you know how to fix it?or do u know anybody who does? :) :) :) :) :)