Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I recently purchased a 40gb laptop hard drive.... it was doa... I am ready to send it back but the company I'm sending it back to wants to know what brand drive I want.... Now when it comes to laptop drives I'm not as savvy so I was wondering what people could suggest... the one I had was a Hitachi DK23EB40.... did i just get a bad one or should I look at a different brand? The have various Hitachi and IBM's that are new with a 1 year warranty or a fujitsu or western digital that are refurbished with 90 day warranties or one seagate that is new... I would tend to the western digital but it's refurbed or the seagate but the whole reason I ended up with a Hitachi in the first place is because the drive I ordered sold out.... They then gave me a choice of a toshiba, a fujitsu or a hitachi. A friend of mine just had all kinds of problems with his 40gb toshiba and found lots of bad reviews on it.... I've had problems with fujitsus in the past though they were desktop drives not laptop ones so that is why I went hitachi.... So do I want another new hitachi or do I take a chance on getting the one seagate or on the refurbs...

thanks in advance for any help..

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Buy the seagate, if it's new. I don't know of any study that was comparing different hard disks but where I live WD is considered to be a very good product. Seagate was also considered to be very good but since they bought Maxtor, which had very bad reputation, people tend to see them with some suspicion. Whatever the case, I would definitely choose a new seagate over a refurbished WD.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thanks like I said I also liked both seagate and Western digital but not real sure for smaller drives.... I heard they were both late comers to the laptop drive market soooo.... I wanted other opinions...

ford123

ford123

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Spam removed. Dink banned.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I use a Samsung 100GB (1 external, 1 internal, both same model) and it works perfectly for me. Write/read speeds are good, though a bit slower on the external one.

Looking at your choice now, I'd suggest you NEVER go for Hitachi/Fujitsu/Toshiba. These are (supposedly) optimized for their brand of notebooks only, and though they do work, they don't work as good as installed on their home notebooks. (Not clarified yet)

WD is good, best at desktop HD's but no clue on laptop HD's. Go for the Seagate one if you want. It's good. Not to say the best, but one of the best you can get.

~Kelvin

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Thanks all the request is in... unfortunately they only had one seagate so don't know if I'll get that or if I'll end up with a hitachi/ibm.....

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Better wait for the Seagate stocks to arrive then, if you're left with the Hitachi and IBM ones. To be frank, the IBM isn't that bad, but it does lack a bit of quality.

~Kelvin