Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need assistance with Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

Tom07

Tom07

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I need to replace:
STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image CRYPT32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I have a XP disk, I just need help and guidance in Recovery Console,

I have 2 computers so I can talk on here,and work on the other at the same time.

Please guild me through Recovery console to replace that file so my windows will work.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm assuming you don't already have recovery console installed, which means you need to boot from the XP CD :

1. If the system doesn't boot from the CD, you'll need to go into the bios & change the boot order so that CD is before hard disk in the list. (If you need help with this, let me know). NB, when the system starts to boot up, you may be asked to press any key to boot from the CD. If you don't do this in time, you'll have to start again.

2. Once the system has booted from the CD, you'll see the XP Welcome Screen - at this screen, press 'R' to start recovery console

3. You'll be prompted for the administrators password. If you don't know the password, then try just pressing the enter key (this assumes no password).

4. Next you'll see a numbered list of windows installations (normally just the one). You must type in the number (eg 1) to select the installation.

5. At the command prompt, type:

copy d:\i386\crypt32.dl_ -c:\windows\system32 -------------[press Enter]

NB d: is the letter of your CDROM drive. If your CD drive letter is not D:, then replace this with the relevant letter.

This should copy & uncompress the crypt32.dll file to the system32 directory. Once that's done, type EXIT to quit recovery console & reboot the computer. Remember to eject the CD on reboot.

Edited by Samm, 29 November 2007 - 07:42 PM.

Tom07

Tom07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well is did copy that file correctly in the recovery but when I went to do a reboot, and the Blue Screen with that same error came up again.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Maye I need to move intot he windows folder? Or some other folder in the windows folder?

Edited by Tom07, 29 November 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The file needs to be in C:\windows\system32 folder (as stated in the copy command I gave you). Is this where you moved it?
If you're not sure, then try again but this time type (press Enter after each line):

del c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll
copy d:\i386\crypt32.dl_ c:\windows\system32
dir c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll

Again, the copy command assumes your CDROM drive letter is D: so change if necessary.
After you enter the last command, if crypt32.dll is in the correct place, the you should see the file name 'crypt32.dll' appear on screen along with it's file size, date etc.

Next, type the command:
chkdsk c: /p /r

This will run an intensive check of the files and checks the hard disk surface for bad sectors. Let me know if it finds any problems