Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken Laptop Screen?

• Please log in to reply

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
I have a Dell Inspirion 5160 laptop. A few months back a small, thin (1-2 pixel) line vertically across my screen. It was light blue. Then a second one appeared about 1cm to the right and it was yellow. Now a third one appeared about 2 inches from the right of the screen that's a very light yellow.

When I take a screenshot it doesn't know up, so I know it's the actual screen. But exactly what could be causing this? How did this happen? Is it something that happens over time or is this that I hit the laptop against something one day?

I called Dell out-of-warranty repairs and it's going to cost $450 to replace the screen, which is rediculous. I may as well buy myself a new computer. But again, how did this happen? Has this every happened to anyone?

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
It could have happended by flexing the screen to hard or bumping it to hard. But I would think you would know if you hit it that hard to cause damage. You could get one from Here and replace it yourself. It is really a fairly easy fix. There are two listed for your laptop so you would need to find out for sure which you would need.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Although you do take a chance of getting a bad product, being careful will get you a screen a lot cheaper from Ebay. I fix a lot of computers by buying parts from ebay. I have only had problems twice ( i've bought over 1000 items)and one of those was solved by the seller. I did have to finally give a bad review on one seller and i did get my money back( minus shipping the part back) when i asked for a dispute from Ebay.

http://computers.sea...insifQQsbrsrtZd

When buying from a seller i always look at their feedback. I want a very high positive feedback ( 98% or more) on quite a few items for me to take them serious. Otherwise i may skip bidding on a item because i do not have the time to waste on them if there is a problem.

SRX660

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Nys,

If you give me the service tag on your machine, I can tell you what screen you need. Alternatively, you can go to support.dell.com and view your computer components, it will tell you there. Unfortunately, you can't upgrade to a bigger screen, or a truelife screen (if you don't already have one).

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

It could have happended by flexing the screen to hard or bumping it to hard. But I would think you would know if you hit it that hard to cause damage. You could get one from Here and replace it yourself. It is really a fairly easy fix. There are two listed for your laptop so you would need to find out for sure which you would need.

This seems like a viable option. I was actually checking out a website where they show you how to remove the screen and replace. I'll have to do a bit more research though to make sure I don't mess anything up!