Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how can i save Streaming Music

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I am trying to save .mp3s to my computer that i am streaming from a website Is there anyway for me to do this??
Am i even in the right forum??
Help on this is really appreciated
Thank you

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What I do is use Audacity. This can basically record whatever is playing on your computer. I use it to get audio from my alma mater's TV news cast every friday.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
wow. Thank you.. I so love these forums, i will try it tonight and let you know if it works. I actually have that progrgam on my laptop already.

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Or you could just download realplayer the latest one now comes with an option of download this when ever you are streaming music or watching a video on youtube :) Good luck

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I think with real player you have to buy the professional version. But if you are sure i dont have to purchase the professional version to do something like that, let me know please...

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
can u explain to me how exactly to use audacity to record songs... i have tried but for some reason i get no audio when i try to play what i recorded

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
well I'm fairly sure its for free, but I think you need to register. Its been a few years since i registered, maybe you cant get registered for free anymore, if so then i'm sorry, but I didnt pay anything

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
you have to select the source: (what U hear) and not (Microphone) to record what you are playing when using Audicity I just downloaded it too to try it out :)

Edited by Scarecroweb, 02 December 2007 - 10:22 AM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yea i tried line in... i tried aux, i tried everything but micrphone... did it work for u?

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes it is working perfect.

You need to go to setup and set Sound I/O Channels stereo

and then select sound source to the setting "what U hear" thats the only one that works. and remember to set all volume controls to max if the sounds gets too high for you to listen to, turn of your speakers but do not touch the controls. monitor the sound by looking at the oscilloscope in audicity. Also very important make sure you dont have msn up because this will record any sounds that your computer makes! :)

If you still dont get it then there must be something with your computer...

Edited by Scarecroweb, 02 December 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
what version of audacity are you using.. on my version all i see is, well first of all, i dont see setup. After i click edit, then preferences, i see audio i/o. I dont see sound source setting. How do u get to the setup where u see sound I/O Channels stereo? I have version 1.2.6

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hehe I got the same version, but its on norwegian :) I translated the meny in my head and preferences became setup, sorry.

but back yo business yes in preferences you see on the top it will say Sound I/O and there you must change channels to stereo, where is says record.

thats all you have to do. when in the main screen you will see a scroll down menu to the right of the speaker volume selector.. set that to "what U hear"

Thats all to it.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
this is what i am seeing

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Scarecroweb

Scarecroweb

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah thats correct, now where it says line in change it to "what U hear"

thats all you have to do..

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok, that is where things are different. On mine, it only has phone line, microphone, line in, cd/video in, aux line in, stereo mix and mono mix. Do you know what "what you hear" would be equivalent too??