Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What does clearing the cmos settings exactly do?

• Please log in to reply

lreyes66

lreyes66

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well i want to over clock my cpu and ram. Problem is i have a hp pc which doesnt not allow people to tweak bios settings. This is my mobo http://h10025.www1.h...mp;lang=en#N365

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Clearing the CMOS will only reset the BIOS settings to defaults (as it came from the factory). It will not allow you to overclock :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There use to be a program called CPUFSB that would let you boost the front side bus on the old pentium 3 500 computers, but i don't think it worked on later processors. Otherwise there is no way to overclock with a factory motherboard. I do not know why you would want to do this on a 478 pin cpu anyway. They already run hot in stock form so overclocking would most likely give you in a overheating crashing computer anyway. The only way to cure that is bigger, faster, louder fans or water cooling. The computer still won't match a new computer so it seems to be a waste of time. Save up and buy a dual or quad core intel system. You will be much happier with it.

SRX660