Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

disk read error

• Please log in to reply

Bardocka

Bardocka

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm pretty sure I'm screwed but I thought I would ask anyway.

My laptop fell off my coffee table while I was in the middle of downloading something. I picked it up, it seemed fine for a few minutes until it started making some weird noises. I tried to restart it and now I'm only getting a screen that says A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Is there anything I can do to fix this. If not, is there anyway I can retrieve the files off my hard drive?

I'm really freaking out about this.

Thanks,
Andrea

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Andrea,

Laptop dropped, weird noises followed, disk read error...tell-tale signs of a hard drive crash.

As for recovery of files, one option has worked for me in the past. Take the hard drive out of the laptop, zip it up in a freezer bag (put it in another one for good measure if you desire), and let it sit in your freezer for 24 hours. Sounds crazy right? Well it is, but it works sometimes.

While your hard drive is chilling out, make a list of all of the files you wouldn't want to lose. Also, get your external hard drive ready to receive the data you want off. Get yourself ready to do some mad typing and clicking, as your window of opportunity doesn't last long.

Pop the hard drive back in and see if it will boot up. Hopefully all the preparation will be worthwhile. At most, you could get 20 minutes, but I'd try to be in and out under 10.

Your other option is to take it out and set it as the slave drive for another computer. You could then try to get the data off the drive through that computer.

Check here for more information: http://www.computerh...es/ch000649.htm

Regards,

Ax