Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons, Start Button, Task Bar all missing

• Please log in to reply

vet74

vet74

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Desktop Icons, Taskbar, Start Button, Start Menu are all missing from my Desktop, all I have is my Desktop Background Picture. Does anyone have a clue as to how to RESTORE my Desktop. I have searched everywhere and most of the suggestions tell me to click the Start Button, go to control panel etc, but there is no start button to click....aaaarghh! I've tried clicking center of Desktop as well and nothing, Windows Key not functioning neither is CTRL-ESC. Can't get to the RUN command either.

Problem started with Norton notifying me of a Trojan.Zlog infection and gave me the manual instructions. Follow the instructions to include removing the msmsgs.exe from the registry and the system32 folder. I believe removing that exe is the source of my problem. Is there some way to restore the msmsgs.exe to the registry locations that it was deleted from?

Thanks in advance
Edited to remove email address to prevent you from getting spam

P.S. I've already tried SYSTEM RESTORE and doesn't help at all. I even went back over a month ago and used that restore point to no avail.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
vet74,

I suggest you read this link, post a hijackthis log in the Malware Removal forum, and let them check you out. The symptoms that you are listing, and the fact that you had an infection, lead me to believe that you're not totally clean of malware. If they work with you and decide you are clean, then please come back to this thread for further assistance.

sari