Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Feeling Betrayed, Facebook Users Force Site to Honor Their Privacy

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Sean Lane's purchase was supposed to be a surprise for his wife. Then it appeared as a news headline -- "Sean Lane bought 14k White Gold 1/5 ct Diamond Eternity Flower Ring from overstock.com" -- last week on the social networking Web site Facebook.

Without Lane's knowledge, the headline was visible to everyone in his online network, including 500 classmates from Columbia University and 220 other friends, co-workers and acquaintances.

And his wife.

The wraps came off his Christmas gift thanks to a new advertising feature called Beacon, which shares news of Facebook members' online purchases with their friends. The idea, according to the company, is to allow merchants to effectively turn millions of Facebook users into a "word-of-mouth promotion" service.

Lane called it "Christmas ruined," and more than 50,000 other users signed a petition in recent days calling on Facebook to stop broadcasting people's transactions without their consent.

Last night, Facebook backed down and announced that the Beacon feature would no longer be active for any transaction unless users click "ok." Beacon is a core element of Facebook's attempt to parlay the personal and behavioral information it collects about its members into a more sophisticated advertising business, an effort to turn a user's preferences into an endorsement with commercial value.

Read more here

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can't imagine how anyone thought that was a good idea?.....what if you bought something REALLY expensive...then someone "just happened" to decide to break into your house and steal that shortly thereafter..

or heaven forbid you buy something that you REALLY don't want anyone to know you have and it's posted on the web....

that's just stupid

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I agree, as do the 50,000 people or however many it was that signed the online petition.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
One more reason why "social network" websites are the scourge of the internet. I point and laugh at people who ask me if I have a myspace page

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i actally punched the last person who asked me if i had a myspace account.....he had it comming for other reasons....but still...i used that as the catalyst

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I don't like Social Networking either, I am with you :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
*zorba is antisocial,tooooo :)