Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting HDD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bass073

bass073

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I got a new HDD, installed, partioned, set up Windows (XP) and all that and everything was working fine until I rebooted after installing some drives and I got a blue screen. I couldn't boot into safe or last known good config and since it was practically brand new I just reformatted. That worked, but I suddenly had around 50GB less HDD space than when it was working previously. How do I get my space back?!

Per some other things I read on the web I opened disk management and sure enough it shows my 130GB partion and 56GB of "unallocated space" for a total of the GB I should have. The page I was reading said to right-click and mark the unallocated section as active, but that isn't listed as an option (they must have been working with a different Windows version). I don't want to make a totally new partition so how can I get the unallocated section to merge with my existing C:?

NEVER MIND...FOUND OUT XP DOESN'T SUPPORT PARTION RESIZING AND D/L'D PARTITION MAGIC. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Edited by bass073, 30 November 2007 - 10:01 AM.

Advertisements