Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I/O Device Error

• Please log in to reply

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I've used you all some over the last couple of year and have always been helped pretty well. So here we go. I'm using a Toshiba A75-S211 Laptop that is approximately 2.5 years old. I don't use the DVD Multidrive too often on the thing but recently noticed that the disk light on the drive is always on if the laptop's power is on. Didn't think much of it at the time. My wife wanted an old puzzle game installed on the laptop so I grabbed the CD an inserted it into the drive. The drive's light flashes as it spins up the disc and then went solid. Windows wouldn't autoplay the disc so I went into my computer and clicked on the d: drive to explore and it gives the error: "D: is not accessible. The request could not be perfomed because of an I/O device error." I found a Microsoft knowledgebase article on a similar problem and ran through the disc management tool and switched some IDE channel stuff like it told me to but no change in results. Anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I/O Device error is often a sign of a drive on the way out or scratched media.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
The drive isn't making any odd noises and appears that the discs spin when inserted. I've tried several different different discs and none worked and the light on the drive is constantly on.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
If anybody doesn't have anymore ideas, how difficult is it to chang out these drives in laptops? I am pretty proficient with a desktop PC but have never ventured into popping open a laptop. Where is a good place to buy replacement drives?