Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What langauge should I learn first?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello everyone! :)

What is your opinion on this? What langauge should I learn first?

Im not sure I want to program for a career. I just want something I can do on my free time(To at least pay the $50 month internet bill ) I am still attending High School so I want to make some extra $$ from home. Anything! Either it be something with the internet or whatever. Oh yeah and it would be nice if I could average at least $110 a month :)

Thank you so much! :)

This is what some other guy from another forum told me:

I believe that visual basic is the beginning to what you'll need to know. Wiff that you can create your own media player other windows app and it is very easy to understand, second vb also will teach you the easy steps of c+,C++ that is where you will want to start.
I took computer science years ago and, basic,vbasic,dbase was the programing languages we started with at that time. These are the essential languages to learn.

I said:

Could you give me a link to somewhere that gives me more info about these langauges?

Thanks!

And could you tell me how I could make money with some langauges from home?

Thanks again!

He said:

http://msdn2.microso...c/ms789094.aspx
as described whiff this you can build web applications for instance namespace, facebook
windows applications like widgets, media applications like nero its what you learn and how much you put into it is what you gain, you need a good plan to make money. A game for example has many tech's working graphic artist, sound artist, and a couple of programmers the programmers take that information and develop a engine usually using c and vb. VB will teach you how to create a install package and all the above. Your are starting with the right questions so hit the books go to school home if needed and away you go.
Example of a good game egine is the ut, developed by c++ and vb

What is your opinion on what he said?

I know this post is getting long but another guy told me:

**Pascal**

it's the simplest one, you can create small programs and useful algorithms. You'll learn definitions, techniques and the "programmer's way of think". Then you should try **delphi**(object pascal), 'cause in pascal you'll only create ms-dos programs, in delphi you'll create win-32 programs. Lots and lots of people say that delphi isn't a good programming language, that you should go to another languages like c++ and java. Well, it's good to go to another languages but delphi is a good one. Remember: the programming language is as good as the programmer works with it.

xD

Your opinion?

Thanks for putting up with me! :) (And yes i am new to all this)

If I posted this in the wrong section please tell me!

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Sorry if I posted something that has already been answered.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Anyone?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
The first thing I learnt was Basic, Although you dont really see that around anymore.
Then I mved onto batch files. Limited, but I found it fun.

If its $$$ your after (and not a career), I would move more towards HTML, PHP, Javascript, Flash etc.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok thanks!

Could you give me some real life instances where HTML, PHP, Javascript, Flash etc.. made some one $$$? How?

Thanks again!
(im still in high school)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well in school they started to teach us in this order HTML, TURBO PASCAL, JAVA, and now its PHP, but I went off into C and C++ by myself. I find that Java is the easiest next to HTML.

Soorena

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Java not Javascript right?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yup its very basic.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I thought Java was harder than Javascript?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Not really once you know the basics its very easy. People who say that probably don't know Java.

Soorena

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Do you think this is a good plan? learn HTML,XHTML, and then CSS? after that maybe some Java or Javascript?

After all that I might wanna try to learn some stuff like C# C+ C++ or some other language to make windows app's.

Thanks for all your help!

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thats pretty good you should try HTML, Java, PHP, XHTML because PHP requires some knowledge of Java as they are very similar and XHTML is sorta HTML if you know PHP its very simple.

Soorena

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Java is one of the basic languages. We're studying C#, don't think it's going to help you to make money. HTML and PHP are good ideas. I've earned a few bucks by building websites for people...

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
ok thanks for all your help! on to HTML first then!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Me I learned Qbasic first. I would recommend that. Then I learned HTML(only because HTML was not around when I learned qbasic.) HTML is not a programing language though it is a markup language. If you are thinking of getting into computers make sure you have a passion for it. Then I learned javascript. I learned assembly before C I would not recommend that. :shutters: