Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

POP3 and IMAP

• Please log in to reply

Stellar

Stellar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a new ISP. We are allowed three new emails. I can send emails but can't receive replies because I used IMAP instead of POP3. Now I can't find where to close the two email accounts I opened and start again with POP3. I am allowed three emails, however I can't open the third one because the drop down menu only lists the two email accounts I already have and won't allow me to open a third.

Originally I asked whether to use POP3 or IMAP and the kid in the shop said he wasn't sure but to try one or the other and see what worked. That's why I used IMAP because I like the idea of accessing my emails on other computers than my own. I find they have a very user unfriendly website and you cannot seem to contact them by email. I tried to phone but they are always engaged.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and am using Windows Mail.

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You can only use IMAP if your ISP supports it. To remove your account on Windows mail follow the directions on this page. Windows Mail accounts. Remove both accounts and then follow the steps to add your accounts. When you set up the new accounts make sure you set them up as POP3 accounts.

Stellar

Stellar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Gnomad. Unfortunately there is still a problem. I get the message ...."Invalid login, Port 110, Error No. 0x800ccc92. I can still send emails but I can't get replies. I am using the correct user name the ISP gave me. I can remove the email accounts and start new ones but there is always the above error message.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
It sounds like you have the user name wrong. Is your user name set for "yourusername@yourisp.com" or just your username? Try it both ways and see if either works. May I ask who you use for an ISP?

Stellar

Stellar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again Gnomad .... I am using "username at isp." The username is correct because that is what they gave me. The isp is three.com.au. I'll try it just with the username but I am supposed to add the isp. I also get the message that I have successfully set up the account.