Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switch bad XP hd with Good W98 hd

• Please log in to reply

lindyx

lindyx

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, A friends xp hard drive crashed. Can I replace it with a operating w98 hd from my old machine?? thanks Joe

Advertisements

Meltyn00b

Meltyn00b

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you are talking about formatting the old hard drive and reinstalling windows XP, that will work as long as you have the necessary hard drive space for it. IF you are talking about using Windows 98 on a XP machine by just sticking in the hard drive, your going to have to install the drivers for your hardware, but other than that it should boot. The only time I have had trouble booting like that is when I'm sitting in front of a brand name computer, particularly HP.

Hope that helps

lindyx

lindyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, The drivers was the one thing I had not considered and yes I was just going to use the W98 in the xp machine. thanks joe

Edited by lindyx, 01 December 2007 - 06:49 AM.