Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Vaio not recognising any discs

• Please log in to reply

mond

mond

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
my new sony vaio is not reading any discs whether shop bouth DVD, CD-R, OR even music CD. I did manage to upload some software at first but now I cant even do that. The Sony help page needs registration which my firewall informs me is unsafe! Windows media player does not see discs nor do they appear in my computer - C Drive. If I take it back to the shop (PC World) I fear I may not see it again for weeks!
Any ideas anyone - thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello mond,

You can check to see if there are filters set on the drive. The following MS KB will show you how to check for and resolve this issue:
You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

The instructions are for XP, but maybe Vista has similar entries.

Otherwise, go to the device manager and see if you have any devices that have any warnings or errors. If so, try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers.

Regards,

Ax

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi Ax,

It would appear there is a problem with the dvd drive Matshita dvd-ram UJ870QJ( a scan tells me it is missing or corrupt and it has a yellow hazard symbol next to it) Windows cannot fix this and I tried a system restore which failed.
Problem may have occured after I transferred my old files etc to my new laptop via a special "belkin" cable - i dont think it worked after this.
How do I uninstall / reinstall this driver - I cannot find much info on this driver on the net - do I need to contacy Panasonic?
I did not try above advise as it looked a bit complicated for me

many thanks

Mond

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try right-clicking the entry in the device manager and choosing Uninstall. After this, restart your computer and Windows should look for a new driver.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
HI Ax,

I have tried this but when I restart the computer the driver is back complete with yellow warning symbol.
The error code is 39

Thanks for help so far

Mond

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the program, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for Storage / Optical Drive

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Regards,

Ax

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi Ax

Cannot find device: Matshita DVD-RAM UJ870QJ ATA

cannot uninstal and when I click on the link for above driver I am directed to a general panasonic web site which is little help.

Thanks

Mond

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Found this on another help forum and gave it a go.......

Click on START, Then Run, Then type in regedit
Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Then Click on subfolder SYSTEM
In subfolder SYSTEM click on CURRENT CONTROL SET
Im CURRENT CONTROL SET subfolder click on control,
Then find the subfolder CLASS Expand class and look for the key :{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Find UPPERFILTERS, right click on this key and DELETE if there is is LOWERFILTERS right click and delete aswell
Close all programs and restart PC problem should be solved if not uninstall DVD-R or CD-R and reinstall and should be fixed......

everything now seems fine Merry Christmas one and all

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Glad you got it working! Just an FYI, those were the instructions in my initial link, the ones that you said were too complicated.

Merry Christmas!

irvin38a

irvin38a

• Pip
  • 3 posts
mond & Ax238.........

Thank you sooo much!!

I have been having the same problem with my new Sony Vaio drive not reading any discs.

Followed your instructions (upper/lower filters) and hey presto! Its all working again!

Thought it was gonna be a long winded repair or maybe a frustrating phone call to Sony!!

What causes this problem btw?

Quel

Quel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was going desperate because of the driver's problem, the same as Mond and probably irvin38a...

But the instructions of Ax really WORKS!!!! :)

Thanks a lot!

Lucky me find this here!

Regards

lanab521

lanab521

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a fairly new sony vaio.... matshita dvd ram uj870qj~ and whenever i burn CDs...it will burn a couple songs..and then fail for the rest of the songs...every now and then i get lucky and it will burn a whole CD...but mostly it wont..ive wasted soooo many CDs and its getting annoying. Ive deleted the driver..reinstalled it...doesnt work...i even followed the instructions above that someone else claimed worked...it didnt help... the error code i get is C00D11C9 btw... what do i do??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: lanab521

Please start your own topic because this topic is a year and a half old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.