Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

soy feo

soy feo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i had alot of junk on my hard drive,left over stuff from previous OS sytems I had on it and various other non-essential documents and software, so instead of just going down the list and deleteing junk, I decide to just format my hard drive.

Problem #1 is now, no matter what I mount,floopy recovery or cd recovery or nothing at all I get error message of 'Invalid System disk' remove press enter.This is very frustrating.Pressing enetr does nothing at all.

Problem#2..I press f-10 to accesse my bio's but it doesnt do anything,, nada, zip, zero, it goes right to the above error message..I had Windows xp sp2 on it and all i have is a windows xp pro update cd..so...

HELP what do I do now?

My hard drive is a quantum 'big foot' and my comp is a compaq presario x86.It originally came with Windows Me, but those recovery disk are useless, wont even read them..I don't want to have to buy a new hard drive if this one is fixable.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Edited by soy feo, 30 November 2007 - 07:11 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Can I just confirm a couple of things first please....
(1) your recovery disks (containing Windows ME etc I assume) are useless
(2) The only OS CD you have that works is an XP Upgrade CD

Also, can you tell me what type of keyboard you are using? (USB or PS2)

soy feo

soy feo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
answers:
1.) YES
2.)YEs
and Ps2 key board

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, can you try accessing the bios again please. It's possible that before you weren't pressing the F10 key soon enough - try pressing the F10 key repeatedly the instant the monitor LED turns green.

If you manage to get into the bios, change the boot order to 1. Floppy 2. CD 3. Hard disk

soy feo

soy feo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That worked,thanks.alls well and good.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

That worked,thanks.alls well and good.

Do you mean you've managed to install the OS now, or just that you've managed to change the boot order settings?