Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build - Help Please

• Please log in to reply

TerrorSolda

TerrorSolda

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to install a EVGA nForce 680I LT 122-CK-NF67-T1 into a Thermaltake V8000B series but I came into 2 questions that I had (I dont want to screw up my first build so I though I'd get some advice)

1. When installing the Power Switch and HDD LED, etc. cables into the motherboard, how do I tell if which side of the cable is positive to negative. They are just labled Power SW, etc. Also, the power LEd has a 3 pin connector, but theres only pins on the header that the manual says is meant for it to be placed in. What should I do?

2. When I was going to mount my motherboard, I noticed that the keyboard and mouse sockets didn't fit flush with the i/o plate. When I matched the motherboard up with all the spacers I put in so far, the keyboard and mouse slots are not flush. Is this a problem or should I install it like that?

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if my terminology is hard to understand.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you have a quad core CPU your likely going to have problems with that motherboard as you need the A1 revision.
1. Some times it requires trial and error, if they are in backwards, nothing will get damaged, just reverse them and try again.
2. My first hint would be your didn't install the layoffs. Do you have little pieces of metal which act as a seperator between your motherboard and case?
James

TerrorSolda

TerrorSolda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah I installed all the seperators and made sure they matched up to the holes on the motherboard...The keyboard and mouse just dont match up flush. They area they are at are right, but they dont line up perfectly to the holes. Is it a problem?

For the switches, what should I do with the HDD LED one. The cable connector thing has space for 3 pins with the cable attaching to the 2 outside slots. The maunal said that theres only 2 spots where they can go so do I have to cut the middle part of the head off?

Lastly, what will go wrong with the quad core? I read some reviews on newegg and they didn't seem to have problems with the Q6600(like I have) Will I need to return the mobo to get a new one?

THanks for the help. I really appreciate it :).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Will I need to return the mobo to get a new one?

I wouldn't be surprised if you have stability issues, the only reason for the revision to A1 was because of some faulty transistors that prevented overclocking on quads and had stability issues.
You could try it, because what are you out.

Have you used the stand offs for your motherboard?
They look similar to the brass ones of the left of the image in the link below.
http://www.radiical......20Off One.jpg

Do not remove any of these heads, one is the negative, on the positive and the other is the ground. What case are you using for this, I'll take a look at the layout of your motherboard tomorrow.
More then likely you'll be able to use either the two heads on the top of the two on the bottom (as the ground will be on on of the ends, you just won't use it - though please don't remove it) .

James

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
about the keyboard and mouse inputs if you mean they don't line up with the holes and you wouldn't be able to plug your keyboard and mouse in then if you haven't already your motherboard should have came with a custom I/O panel for your spacific motherboard, install that if you haven't. but if you mean that they line up with the holes and you can plug the mouse and keyboard into them but they are just sunk back in a little then I think that is normal as long as you can plug the stuff into them. mine are slightly sunk in also. Also, make sure to look in your motherboard manual, it should tell you all the correct places to put the standoff's and for the led connectors usually the positive wire is colored and the negative is black or white. some actually have a little triangle on the plastic connector under one of the wires indicating its positive. But as James 8970 said above, if you connect it the wrong way it won't hurt anything just switch it around.

good luck

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also with the I/O backplate for the motherboard, make sure it is installed properly. I mean, look really close at all four corners that they are the same (inside and out). They can be really difficult to get in place right, so ensure that you have pushed it in tight. With the backplate not quite in properly (but it looked fine), I was once unable to even fit the motherboard, it took me ages to look really close and work out what was wrong! :)

I won't forget that in a hurry.

DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Pip
  • 9 posts
M8 with your new motherboard there have to be a new I/O backplate exactly fitting for your mobo. And about the cables. The colored cable is always the positive and white or black is grnd. And something i forgot. If you put the cables wrong way wont hurt anyone. If you set the HDD LED cable wrong the led at your case will be lighting even when your PC is powerd off. Same for POWER LED. And now for the reset and power SW its the same, and the speaker too. Good luck :)

Edited by DarkGuard, 01 December 2007 - 09:37 AM.

TerrorSolda

TerrorSolda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the replies. The motherboard fits perfectly, just a bit sunk back. It just wasn't screwed in so it wasnt level.

As for the connectors, My power LED has a head with 3 slots in it while the rest have two.. on the motherboard theres only 2 pins for the power led, so how do I install it? The cables go into the left and right of the head of the power led, but the middle of the head it empty. If you needa picture, I can supply one. I don't know how I would plug that in

DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there,
There are some motherboards that have slots for power led with 3 "heads" and 2 heads also. Now if yours don't have both connectors for 2 and 3 heads you can take one cable out(there is an exact way to take it out and plug it in again without braking it). So here is the deal: You need to look from the back side of the connector. Posted Image
(thats the front side, you need to look at the back)

Posted Image

And now you are ready to plug it and play. Good luck:)
P.S: Remember, the colored cable is the positive one (+) and the white or black is ground.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What darkguard mentioned can easily damage the pins if you don't know what your doing.
I said this above and will say it again.
Do not remove any of these heads, one is the negative, on the positive and the other is the ground.
The ground is likely at one of the ends (not the middle) and you won't want to use it. So try installing the plug with only 2 of the 3 pins on the cable into the motherboard. It should work similar to the 3 vs. 4 pin CPU fan.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 December 2007 - 03:36 PM.