Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where's all my memory going

• Please log in to reply

RinMin

RinMin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I run windows XP and have 2 gigs of ram. I usually am using less than a gig of ram for all my applications but recently my computer is using a lot more than usual and I can't explain the jump in usage (It's using an extra 500 to 750 megs). Under the windows task manager's list of applications only a few go above 10 mb and the vast majority are less than 5. The total memory usage listed is way below the total amount I am using. What I am wondering is what is using all this memory? How could I find out? I scanned my computer for viruses and came up clean. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please open task manager and under performance look at "Physical Memory (k), report "Total' and "Available".

RinMin

RinMin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry for taking to long to respond. I had restarted my computer and the available RAM went back up to normal levels (about 1500Mb). It then over the next day or two slowly started dropping until it reached 750Mb. I then decided to test out a theory and stopped a program i had recently installed from running. Since then my available RAM levels have not decreased any further. I believe this program may have been the cause of the problem. Thank you for your help though.