Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot from cd

• Please log in to reply

hughbie

hughbie

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
before you ask, i've set the bios to boot from ide-cd rom
the option comes up to either boot from ide-cd rom or hard drive. if i don't select, it will boot from hard drive anyway. if i select cd rom, then it starts to go into setup and while it's 'testing device drivers', it shutdown automatically. i've tried everything that i know of and things that dell tech support has asked me to do.

and still NOTHING

Advertisements

Rousha

Rousha

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Why do you want to boot from the CD - doesn't it boot from the HDD? I once installed a Linux O/S system on a Windows XP PC and wondered why it would not boot. It was because I had copied the image incorrectly onto the CD. It happened again recently when I tried to burn the Ubuntu O/S image at 40x - it was fine when I burnt it at 16x. Could this be the problem?

hughbie

hughbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
naw, i got will dell tech support and they helped me and it's fixed, it took a while. i had to get a driver update
the reason i was needing to boot from cd...........reformatting hard drive