Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't import Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply

Tafflad

Tafflad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Laptop is running XP Professional
PC home is a Desktop running VISTA ultimate
Initially all transferred OK using VISTA transfer utility. Over about 6 months bookmarks are out of step (anybody know if there is an synch programme that can merge & avoid duplicate bookmarks?)

Anyway went to XP m/c and under IE6 used export favorites ... it creates a file of around 300kB .. called bookmark.htm

Moved this file to new machine .. then tried using IE7 import wizard ... import favorites, it accepts the file and advises it has imported favorites successfully .. then when you click 'finish' it then throws up error window "Not a valid bookmark file"

I have recreated the export file several times - same result ... tried importing form desktop, HDD, USB stick ... same result.

Noticed that favorites folder on either m/s is aprox 7.5MB ... removed Favorites from VISTA, but when I look under 'Favorites' in IE it still sees all the bookmarks, even though I have removed bookmark folder :-(

Tried replacing with favorite folder from XP m/c and it still sees old bookmarks.

Is this corruption on Vista m/s ... or a bug ?? how do I fix this ?

Edited by Tafflad, 01 December 2007 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the bookmark.htm is for importing into mozilla/firefox/netscape. I don't know of any bookmark sync for IE, but I do know there is a good one for firefox.

Your favorites are stored here:
for xp: c:\documents and settings\your profile\favorites

for vista: c:\users\your profile\favorites

you can simply copy the bookmarks that you want from one system to another. Or you can copy the entire folder from one system to the other.

I did some googling and found this: http://www.favorites...ntent/index.jsp
I don't know who good it is, but it has been around for a while.