Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro X64.

I have to format my pc at least every 6 months because problems pop up and, even though I run a battery of tests for malware, it turns up nothing. When I format again, can I copy the Windows folder and save it to an external hard drive, delete the one in C: and copy and paste the one I saved on an external hard drive?

Can I also do it with my registry?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No.

A far better solution is to build your fresh installation, make an image of it onto an external drive and then when you want to rebuild the system, just clone it back. Programs such as Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost will do this.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
There's a program in my pc named "Shadow Copy." Will it do the same thing Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost ?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shadow Copy is a variation on System Restore that you find in XP by default - it is effectively the brain for System Restore under Vista. As System Restore depends on a working Windows in the first place, unfortunately it will not be suitable for your needs.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Neil . . . I'll look into Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost and see which one I like the best.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There are also free backup software programs available. I use DriveImage XML which has worked well for me. It doesn't backup directly to CD or DVD though. You have to backup to another hard drive then burn the data to CD/DVD if you want a "safer" backup.

To restore DIXML, you need a bootable CD like UBCD for Windows which has DIXML on it.

Another I've seen mentioned several times is Cobian Backup. I've not used it myself though.

Acronis True Image seems to be the backup software most often recommended, but if you're "careful" :) with your money like I am ...

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks for your reply also, Rich :)