Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive not recognised

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I am using Windows Vista, and I have 2 DVD-RW drives, a Plextor PX-755A and a Pioneer DVR-111.

I have recently noticed a problem where I can only use one drive at once. If I insert a disc into drive B drive while the drive A is in use, drive B won't read the disc at all and just says "Please insert a disk into drive F:" or words to that effect. The same thing happens with both drives.

Anyway, both my drives are IDE and they were both set to Cable Select. So I read somewhere to try setting the jumpers to Master and Slave. I checked the instructions for both of my drives and set my Plextor to Master and the Pioneer to Slave.

Now as soon as I turn on my PC, the Pioneer ejects automatically, and continues ejecting every time I close it. Neither drive is not recognised by the computer at all, not even in the BIOS.

If I set the Pioneer to Master and the Plextor to Slave, only the Pioneer is recognised in the BIOS, and in Windows the Pioneer is fine, but the Plextor is not detected. Something else that I noticed is that if I "Eject" or "Close Tray" for the Pioneer from My Computer, both drives eject/close!

What's going on?!

Many thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 02 December 2007 - 06:54 AM.

Advertisements

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Deleted

Edited by tomdrayson, 01 December 2007 - 05:44 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I forgot to mention that I have an Asus P5B, which has something called a JMicron chip to control the IDE devices I think. I'm not sure exactly how it works. Anyway, I decided to update my BIOS for the first time since I bought the motherboard brand new. I used Asus EZ Flash to backup the old BIOS, and then flash it to the new version from a floppy disk. It completed successfully and rebooted.
Now the system won't boot at all. All the lights and fans are on, and there are no beeps at all, but my monitor just says "no signal".
I have tried resetting the CMOS but it has had no effect.
What do I do now!

Thanks

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Managed to get it to boot by taking out all my RAM except one stick. Then I added the rest and now it's fine. Still got the optical drive problem though. Does anyone know how this JMicron thing works?