Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

8x AGP card on a 4x AGP slot?

• Please log in to reply

.:{EK}:. Squall

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My computer is pretty old (bought it in 2003 me thinks) and i would like to update just the necessary bits so i can play the newer games. (bear in mind im currently in the Fiji Islands).

the 2 things im considering buying are :

1. a nvidia 7600 GS graphics card (currently using nvidia mx440, ancient ? i know)
2. a 500W power supply unit (currently using a crappy 200 or 250W one)

my current specs are as follows:
p4 2Ghz
1gb ram
windows XP home.

Now the problem is that my motherboard has a 4x AGP slot (aopen mx46 U2 mobo) and the 7600GS is a 8x card. i have heard this combination can work and need advice on this. im getting the power supply because i have read on some forums that the 7600GS needs alot of juice and my crappy 250w psu just wont do.

Im aware that upgrading my motherboard (just for the pci express slot and dual core support) would have been the best option but that would mean upgrading my ram, processor, power supply etc and im sorta just looking for a cheaper upgrade. i can get both the card and power supply for less then 200$ (ordering from australia where im based at)

so what do you guys think?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bigger power supply is definitely needed but having said that, your 7600GS would be wasted because the rest of the system will be slower than it. Therefore you may not see much if anything in the way of improvement. But the card should work in your board, it'll just run slower.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Bigger power supply is definitely needed but having said that, your 7600GS would be wasted because the rest of the system will be slower than it. Therefore you may not see much if anything in the way of improvement. But the card should work in your board, it'll just run slower.

yea i know i wont see much improvement but i just wanna be able to play a few of the newer games that require pixel shaders etc at a really low budget like i mentioned earlier, a new motherboard would mean a whole lot more upgrades and more $$$ . im not looking to play the latest games at amazing FPS. (im interested in a bit older games like NFS:carbon, doom 3 etc)