Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Reformatting Hard Drive W/Data

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This hard drive has gone dead and i need help to reformat it back together.

Ive been trying to reformat this drive all day long.. its got 300 GIGs worth of data on there, and Im hoping I can restore this data after its reformated because the drive isnt even working properly i cannot access it.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You do realize that formatting wipes the drive clean including all data?

Murray

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes, but I cant access the data anway I was going to try to use a very good recovery program

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried slaving the hdd to another system and trying to access the data that way?

What operating system and how are you trying to format?

Are you getting an error message of any type?

Is the hdd recognized in BIOS - may be a controller chip problem and even formatting (which you won't be able to do) won't work.

Murray

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The hard drive is recognized when i go to Diskmgmt.msc , it doesnt show up in my computer. And I have tried accessing the Hard Drive from another PC & Laptop, still no go. Ive tried to reformat it about 4 times and, about 2 hours-3 hours in it says the Hard Drive cannot be formatted. I literally spent an entire day trying to reformat this thing.

It keeps Bad Parameter or something.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay..

1: You are booting using the XP cd correct?

2: Are you trying to use the Recovery Console to format or are you just going on and using the option to "Remove all Partitions" and then the next option to format and install XP?

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, if the drive won't format, its not worth playing with, either throw it away, replace it with a new one or use it as a doorstop.
If there was data on there you want, repeated attempts at formatting it may probably have made any chance of recovering the data from it highly unlikely.
Even if you are able to successfully format the drive, it's only going to fall over again shortly anyway.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 December 2007 - 01:42 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

With all due respect, if the drive won't format, its not worth playing with, either throw it away, replace it with a new one or use it as a doorstop.
If there was data on there you want, repeated attempts at formatting it may probably have made any chance of recovering the data from it highly unlikely.
Even if you are able to successfully format the drive, it's only going to fall over again shortly anyway.

\All they want is to recover what they can Neil. Being negative at this time is no help as I already pointed out what would happen with a format.

Murray

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I would suggest seeing if the maker of the disk has a diagnostic test problem (many do). Then you can test the disk to see if there is a problem with it, which perhaps can be corrected (such as a bad block) or whether it is functioning correctly, but that there is another problem (such as the controller).

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Im hearing a beep an cliicking noise with this hard drive now..thats not a good sign.. Im trying to recover anything I could if its possible if not i dont care Il buy a new one. Money isnt the matter right now

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a good sign at all. Try the manufacturers diagnostic and cross your fingers. If money is no matter, there are companies out there that will/can recover data from dead hdd's but it is costly.

Murray