Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to download mp3 files

• Please log in to reply

maree!

maree!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i'm completely new to downloading music files and i really need some help. (this is probably going to be long and confusing but any help would be appreciated!) I use WMP 10 and i have a list of songs in WMA format that i purchased off the store which ive downloaded onto my player. They work fine, but then i tried to download some free songs in MP3 format from a website. It opens WMP and the bar at the bottom says - buffering - and when it reaches 100% it will play the song. But then when i push the SYNC button to transfer it to my player, the track will just start re - buffering all over again. How do i get the track to stay fully downloaded in WMP so i can download it?
The other place it downloaded it to was QuickTime 7. It's nothing but a blank page with the bar in the center playing the track. I dont really know anything about QuickTime, is it possible to transfer it from there to WMP 10 or even to iTunes? If anyone could help me and tell me how to do this, id be very thankful! :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You're streaming those music, not downloading them. That's why it keeps buffering. Buffering in a player's language is either:

1.) Your player is selecting the codec and decoding the audio file with it.
2.) You're streaming the music, because the link you clicked for the audio file is not a download link. In other words: Buffering = Downloading piece by piece, then playing it piece by piece. Like how a movie would load in YouTube.

Downloading free music is disencouraged as it breaks the law of some countries, and I trust Australia also has a copyright policy, banning anyone from downloading or distributing songs.

~Kelvin

maree!

maree!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, Kelvin.
So because it started buffering, then the songs just arent available for download at all? Is it just because im using WMP 10 that i cant get them, or is it the site only issuing them for streaming only?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Yes. If there's no other link provided, it means the song is available for streaming only. It's not because you're using WMP 10, because as far as I know no player can rip streaming songs, and I'm not sure if you can and are allowed to rip streaming songs. So, the only way you can get to listen to that song is through the streaming link or you buy the CD online/in a record shop.

Just a reminder, DON'T, and I mean DON'T break the copyright law in Australia - it's VERY strict.

If you have any questions, feel free to visit here to read more about Australia's law implemented on copyright matters. Hope it helps.

~Kelvin