Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hibernation problems

• Please log in to reply

gmo2893

gmo2893

• Pip
  • 9 posts
my laptop is no longer able to hibernate or standby anymore. it has no viruses and i have not changed any of thr hardware.
just one day i clicked hibernate, and it just hangs at "preparing to hibernate". when i force a poweroff it take about 20 minutes after the boot before the hdd
light turns off and tthe computer works fast enough to use. just to recap, it was able to hibernate but cant anymore. i havnt changed the hardware so it cant be a driver problem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hibernate mode requires an amount of free space on the system drive not less than the amount of installed RAM.

If that is not an issue in your case, there may be errors on the disk or you've recently installed/updated a device driver which is not compatible with Hibernate and/or Standby modes. This would also include new hardware recently added whose driver is not Hibernate/Standby compatible.

Regarding the possibility of disk-errors, you should run the XP 'Error-checking' tool which is accessed from the right-click menu of the C: drive in My Computer. Right click drive C:->Properties. Click 'Tools' tab. Click "Check Now". Tick both options. Click "Start". Reboot and the disk check will run before Windows starts.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try a System Restore to a date before this started happening, see if that resolves the problem.

Also, did this problem happen after you did a Windows Update? Perhaps one of the updates you installed is causing this?

gmo2893

gmo2893

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it happened quite a long time ago, so a system restore probably wouldnt be possiible. i tried a repair install to fix it but nothing happened.
does bluesoliel effect hibernation/standby? ill try error checking later, as im working on somthing.