Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lan file sharing problem

• Please log in to reply

vicky79

vicky79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi, I have 2 pc's on a local network, pc1 runs winxp pro x64 and pc 2 win xp media center, now the problem is that when i want to access a shared file on pc1 from pc 2 I get a prompt which asks for a password i did not enable any password file sharing, although i did use remote administraion, I tried everything from system restore to adjusting local security policy in control panel, ICS works fine on pc2, what could b the problem, please help. :)

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Read up on File Sharing Here Hope this helps!

vicky79

vicky79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for that, but i still am not able to solve the problem.

TekJosh

TekJosh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When it asks for your user name and pass to access the share on the xp64 system you must enter your user name with the machine name first like it is a domain...

IE: remote machine 1===> Computer name: FX127X16 Local account name: Bob
(this is the xp64 machine)
If I am trying to access a shared folder on the xp64 machine I must enter FX127X16\Bob
for the user name with the password for the Bob account...

ALSO: the machine name must be IN ALL CAPS .... so if your machine name is FranksComp then you must enter FRANKSCOMP\USER for the user name

you may also need to restart both machines, THEN restart your network device (router), and you may want to add an extra account to your xp64 machine for remote sharing authentication... the account MUST have a password.

I was unable to get any type of simple file sharing to work between the machines that would allow the xp or vista machines to access the xp64 macine without password authentication, even though the xp64 machine would access all the other in my network without a password and enabling the simple file sharing on the xp64 machine would still require a password but would only authenticate as guest and required me to add a password to the guest account to work...

I hope this helps! if you have any other problems with xp64 let me know, I can probably help
TekJosh