Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem reading transfered .pdf-files.

• Please log in to reply

RetiredPilot

RetiredPilot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried moving some .pdf files from a Windows 2000 machine to a Linux laptop using a usb memory stick. I put the usb stick in the Windows machine and copy the files from the Windows machine onto the stick. I then remove the stick in the proper way and insert the usb stick in my Linux machine. But now the files can not be read by my normally well functioning pdf-reader, neither from the stick nor when saved onto the hard drive of the Linux machine. I am dual booting my Linux machine, and have tried using the same procedure for the transfer with both machines runing Windows (Win 2000 on the source and Win XP on the destination). When viewed on the original machine, the pdf files display without any problems and pdf files already on the second machie display without problems using the reader.

Any suggestions ?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot depends on the properties set in the PDF file - it may only be set to work with certain versions of Adobe Reader, for example.
Alternatively this could be caused by the PDF file in question being corrupt when copied to Linux.