Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi all :)

Before anyone suggests this thread > http://www.geekstogo...ot-t119053.html < I'd like to point out I have already read it. Although very helpfull, it never fixed my problem :)

This is a bit long winded so I guess I had better start at the beginning :)

About four years ago I bought an E Machines PC. This lasted me about two years and had a lot of use and I upgraded the hardware a couple of times. Then one day it died without warning. I considered repairing it but chose to build a custom machine and reused the reusable components of the Emachine PC.

I installed XP using the OEM discs which came with the E Machines PC and to my surprise the OS installed ok without any errors. I was expecting it to reject the install saying that the discs could only be used with an E Machines PC.

Anyway, last week my custom build PC died after a power cut. Coincidence or connected, not sure?

Since then I have aquired another PC FOC from a good friend. I put the C drive into the new tower hoping it would just boot up but that wasnt to be the case :)

Here's what happens..............

At the moment I am stuck at the black screen "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully" Then I have the options to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking or Safe Mode with command prompt or lastly, Last known good config or normally. Simple answer is, it wont boot in any of them.

If I try any of the Safe Mode Options is starts off listing the drivers and hangs at gagp30k.sys. As mentioned in that thread I listed before I have tried renaming the driver at which it hangs but it makes no difference. If I go for last good config or Normal start up it does no better. The text appears and I get a black screen with a white hatched line at the bottom which moving from left to right turns to a white bar across the screen and thats it. It will stay like that for hours, ive left it to see if it changes and it doesnt.

The only way I can get anything other than above is if I go into BIOS and change the boot order to CD ROM and load the RC which I got from here http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

Then I re boot and change the boot order in BIOS back to fail safe default and I arrive back at the Windows did not start successfully screen once more.

Any more info needed just ask.

Thanks ;)

EDIT: I have tried changing the jumper positions on the HD but alas, still no good.

Edited by Mighty Boosh, 02 December 2007 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The hard drive that you are trying to place in a new machine has a totally different hardware configuration than the new machine. The motherboard drivers are all configured for the old machine therefore it will not boot to the new hardware.

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

The hard drive that you are trying to place in a new machine has a totally different hardware configuration than the new machine. The motherboard drivers are all configured for the old machine therefore it will not boot to the new hardware.

Thanks for that :)

Is there anyway around this at all?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just to reinstall Windows.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Here is a website giving some options. But with your computer dying first, I don't think it will be much use. Moving Hard drive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Mighty Boosh...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

This will usually get things running after a severe hardware change, but you will likely have problems with activation. As you are using an OEM operating system, which is typically registered to the machine, you may have to purchase a new license key from Microsoft in order to make the install legal.

wannabe1

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Thats my biggest problem, the OEM discs do not have the repair feature, only the start over option. I only have two options, reinstall XP or boot to command prompt.

I think I will just have to buy another disc for the primary and do a fresh install then use the problem one as a slave to recover the data.

Anyway, a big thanks to all who put in to this thread :)

Edited by Mighty Boosh, 02 December 2007 - 03:36 PM.