Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ! DVD unit reading CDs but freezing the computer when inserti

• Please log in to reply

madlts

madlts

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a VAIO PCV-RZ24G with a SONY DVD RW DW-U12A unit to read and write DVDs and CDs. The unit was workign alrigth and 1 week ago I noticed that I can read CDs in it, but if I attempt to read a DVD, the computer will recognize that a DVD is there; sometimes it might open the window to ask what action you want to take to open the DVD, but when selecting either opening with Windows Media Player, Roxio or just opening the folder the computer freezes compeltely. Not even teh CTRL-ALT-DEL works.

I have tried to clean the lens, download all upgrades as per the Microsoft supprot site; upgraded the driver for the DVD unit and nothing seems to work.

Any ideas are welcome. Do you know if I need to replace the actual DVD unit ?

Thanks

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello madlts and welcome to geeks to go!

I'm not sure if you'll have to replace the unit or not. I know you've updated software and drivers, but you can try the suggestions listed in the following link from Leo Notenboom:
http://ask-leo.com/w...hould_i_do.html

Let me know how it goes,

Ax