Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Update My Driver

• Please log in to reply

Imperial Dragon

Imperial Dragon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi im abit new here so im not sure where i should post this so im sorry for any problems caused.

So im getting alot of problems trying to update my what i think is hopefully my graphics card. The reason for this is because im having trouble playing the HL2 source games from Steam such as Counter Strike Source. Been having alot of problems trying to get into a server asi t gets stuck at "Retrieving Server Info". I have searched many sites read many forums and all i could find is to update my driver, so i tried to do that. But for some reason i cannot find the specific driver i need (i am a complete newbie with computers and such) and if i do find one that i think should work it wont work after installation.
So to get started, im not sure what to call which thing what so im just gonna put the what i think is important up. (These are all from the Steam Crash Test thing which tells me what i need and for the mean time my display driver needs to be updated.)

Display Adapter: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700
Display Version: 6.14.10.6561
Recommended Driver Version: 8.282
Recommended Driver Date: 08/21/2006

So the laptop im using is a HP Pavilion dv4205TX not sure if it will help in any way but it was purchased in Hong Kong and since that was only for a holiday i brought it back to the UK. Im not sure if the sites matter from which all the Catalysts?(not sure what it is but might be spelt wrong) none of them work. So i tried to use http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html im not sure if i clicked the right thing but im pretty sure it is.

Windows XP: Professional/Home - Mobility Radeon - Mobility Radeon X700

It then brings me to this page http://game.amd.com/...=xp/mobility-xp and my current Driver is there "ATI Mobility Radeon X700" but going down the page theres a download link for some thing which tests to see if it is compatible with my systme or some thing. And nope to the results it says its not capable with my laptop.

So im in a bundle of trouble, i will be grateful if any one can help me with anything to my problem of just updating my driver.

Thank You. (Again im sorry if i posted anything wrong or against the rules since i am new and i dont know whats wrong or right here.)

Advertisements

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
How to update a windows hardware driver.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial119.html