Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to connect two computers for file tranfers

• Please log in to reply

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I have run out of space on my computer, and purchased a new one. Both are Dell PCs, the old one runs Win XP and the new one runs Vista. I need to connect the two computers so I can drag and drop a whole load of files from the old to the new. Mostly picture files. Over 150 gig worth of files. What are the steps I need to take to do this task?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hang the old hard drive off the new one as a slave (involves taking the side off both machines) or find a piece of crossover network cable.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
The old computer's got two separate HDs {master & slave} so networking them would be the only option unless I wanted to take turns with them. Would a network cable allow them to hook up and exchange files? That's really what I need. I don't need to bring anything from the new comp onto the old one, rather it's all going from the old one to the new.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The new computer will probably be able to hold both of them, though you may temporarily have to unplug the CD unit.
However the network cable route, you just fire up the old computer as normal with both drives and copy across what you need from them both in one go.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I'd rather go with a network cable. Do I just buy one and hook'em up, or do I need to install software etc. to make the connection work at all?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you connect the 2 computers directly (no other device in between), you'll need a crossover cable that you can purchase at your local PC place. You'll need to enable "file sharing" on the machines. Use the Windows Help on each machine to find step by step instructions for the respective OS.

You should then be able to drag and drop from one to the other.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It didn't work.

I have a cable that can connect both computers and it isn't working. There IS no option on either of my computers for just connecting one computer to another. There are options for connecting to the internet, setting up a LAN network or wireless network but NO plain old ad hoc network.

I'm about to put a foot through my computer.

Someone told me that all I need is a USB to USB cable, turn on both computers and hook the cable up to both through the USB ports in the fronts. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get one. Will this work?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
In XP try Start/Settings/Network Connections/ Set up a Home or small office network/next/next/other/next/network that doesn't have internet connection/next/type a name you'll remember/use MSHOME/next/turn on file and printer sharing/next/next.

I don't have any info for Vista.

Edited by 98springer, 16 December 2007 - 11:00 PM.