Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Everything, EVERYTHING is a .lnk

• Please log in to reply

mrmatt

mrmatt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi
I am REALLY hoping you can help solve a problem that my old but very faithful WIN98 OS is expericening.

I think it started when I was doing a registry cleaning via a program that was for WIN98. Maybe the program was a virus(?)

After running it, every single program is now a .lnk file . Everything on my desktop is a .lnk - except MSN and IE
All microsoft office applications, all antivirus programs, all game programs, etc.

I thought of just wiping out the hardrive and using the discs to reformat, but the CD drives must be a program, as the computer cannot activiate them!!! :) So I cannot wipe the slate clean and restart

When I try to download a program that might help, the program cannot run as it becomes a .lnk ( as when I try to run it the computer asks for what program is to use to run it, populates choices but I dont see anything to run it. - this is the same for all programs.) :)

I went into Safe Mode and tried to reload the registry but that did not work, neither did the win98 registry repair suceed.

So I am stuck.

How can I get my programs working again?

Again strangely enough, I can use MSN email and IE

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not my main computer, but the kids do use it a lot and is...well was very reliable

MrMatt

Edited by mrmatt, 02 December 2007 - 06:02 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mrmatt...

Download the attached file and save it to the desktop on the machine you are on now. Right click on the file and choose Extract All...extract this to the desktop. Copy the extracted file to cd or floppy disk and transfer it to the affected machine...navigate to the file and double click on it to merge it with the registry. Accept the action. Reboot.

This should straighten out the association problem you're having.

Attached File  LnkW98.zip   385bytes   160 downloads

wannabe1

mrmatt

mrmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier in saying Thanks!

I'll give it a try! & let you know

mrmatt

mrmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, it worked! But I was a little worried as when I moved it to the computer via cd, I opened the cd and saw the file but it the icon was only shown as a window flag. When I clicked on it, I was asked what program to open it with, I guessed regedit ( one of the allowed choices in a list). Restarting the computer and all the .lnk files were gone!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the computer will still not operate anything that involves .exe
It asks what program do I want to use to open it with, and things I choose it does not accept.
It's response is a little different when I choose "program" it says

"Cannot find "C/Programs" (or one of its components) Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all libraries are avaialbe"

I looked around in C/Program FILES and could not see anything amiss, but I really do not know what I am looking for

Can you help with this also?

Thanks so much for your help

Matt

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Matt,

Sorry for the late response, but I can assist you with this. Try performing the instructions in the following link:
Broken EXE Association

Let us know if this helps,

Ax

mrmatt

mrmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks so much, with Christmas coming up shortly, life has been crazy, so in short I have not tried it yet, though the link looks interesting. I will give it a try and post back maybe next week.

Thanks so much for not forgetting about me! I was about to repost with this "new" problem.

I hope it works!

Thanks again,

Matt

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Sounds good Matt, let us know how it goes.

mrmatt

mrmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, that link was great, it should definetely be kept in your repetroire.
It worked!!!!!!!!!! Once I downloaded the link that was suggested, my comptuer asked if I wanted it to merge with the registry, said yes, restarted my computer and everything was back to normal.

Thanks so much, you saved a computer! I thought I was going to have to toss it!

Thanks again, I will definetly refer people to your website!!

Matt

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I'm glad to hear it Matt, thanks for posting back and letting us know! You're very welcome, glad I could help.

Cheers,

Ax