Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

needing help with secod hard drive OS onstallation

• Please log in to reply

pfrad

pfrad

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have installed and formatted a second hard drive, now I want to install XP to it, then move stuff to it , then reformat the old one, now how do I install XP to this drive, do I boot fro XP cd and then install to new drive, if so will I be able to tell it to install to specified drive, or do I insert XP cd while in original drive and if so does it ask where to install it to?

thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you install XP to a 2nd hard drive, say D: or E:, then format C:, you will not be able to boot D: or E: because you have deleted 3 critical files XP requires to be on the C: drive.

Were I you, I would do the following:

Disconnect the current C: drive.
Connect the new drive in place of the old C:.
Install XP, format as NTFS during the install.
Immediately apply all updates (SP2 first if necessary then Windows Updates).

Connect the original drive as a Slave.
Copy data from the old to the new.
Format the old and use for data or backup

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the response
Just to clarify these are SATA hard drives cannot I not just rename them in Disk Mgmt.? The new one being C drive and reinstall at that point?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
cloning the drive is the quickest and easiest way to do what you want...

PCstats has previously covered a handful of disk cloning software programs which are useful for the purpose of backing up your data by making an identical copy of your hard disk. Now we'll look at another essential use for disk cloning: Copying an existing WindowsXP installation to a new hard drive.
the instructions are here...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

cloning the drive is the quickest and easiest way to do what you want...

PCstats has previously covered a handful of disk cloning software programs which are useful for the purpose of backing up your data by making an identical copy of your hard disk. Now we'll look at another essential use for disk cloning: Copying an existing WindowsXP installation to a new hard drive.
the instructions are here...

unless you're wanting to put the new drive in because it's corrupted in some way

if you're wanting a fresh start, ztrucker's suggestion of removing your current primary and installing XP on the new drive is the best option...that way you don't get any conflicts with the boot.ini files...or any drive letter issues

and no...you can't rename system partitions...(you can...but it doesn't work)

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks guy's
Yes I want a new install, BSOD at times on current drive, now I have installed the new HD formated it and partitioned, and named it E drive, is this going to cause a problem if I do what Ztruker says?
Thanks