Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WMP wont Play avi Files

• Please log in to reply

polling

polling

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hi guys i just got a clean bill of health from the Malware Forum

But after a couple of days WMP wont play AVI FIles

I had a couple of avi files in my WMP Library that used to play

But now when i click on those file i get a frozen screen

Does anyone knows what i can do to fix this?

I googled this topic but it seems there were no concrete answers

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It should be a problem with codecs. Try using an alternative standalone player, eg: VLC Media Player, WinAmp, XMPlay... these are a few of the best players around. Usually WMP doesn't bundle all the codecs together, that's why it can't watch some videos, as they may be encoded with Xvid, SkidVid, and all other codecs. So, using a standalone player is the best.

If you have any problems, feel free to reply.

~Kelvin

Gazah

Gazah

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
The program i use is DivX its simple and easy, i recommend it watching movie's, hope this helps :).

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

The program i use is DivX its simple and easy, i recommend it watching movie's, hope this helps :) .

You do need to clear something up though. About DivX Player, does it work for other codecs except Xvid? We should look for a player that has almost ALL codecs instead of one. My opinion.

~Kelvin

polling

polling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Thanks guys i don't know what happened but all of a sudden it started playing avi files after i downloaded a divx Player

Once again thanks guys

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Good to know your problem is solved. =)

Also, it's because when you download the DivX Player, it comes with a codec pack, enabling all players to read the codec and thus playing the video. Hope we helped ^_^

~Kelvin