Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice Sought for making a decision

• Please log in to reply

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello All, I am new...

I have a Compaq S6010V that will not power up after I installed 1GB of RAM...the light to the PSD (Hipro D2537F3R- dont laugh) illuminates so I am not sure if the PS has failed...

I couldnt locate any fuses; I m uncertain how to diagnose and repair...

I know most of you are going to laugh at my 4 y.o. PC but it has been very good to me!! Also, I am not ready to upgrade to Vista...I'm not a gamer so I dont need much under the hood to be happy...

I ve decided 2 solutions:

1)buy and install a new PSU...does anyone have any suggestions?...my budget is 50-75 bucks

2)Build a new PC from scratch...I still prefer XP over Vista but I m flexible here...Is there a way that I could build a new PC for no more than 500-600 bucks?

Thanks all for your input.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G!!!

Have you tried installing the ram in other slots or is that not an option?

Soorena

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi and welcome to G2G!!!

Have you tried installing the ram in other slots or is that not an option?

Soorena

Thank you for responding...

I already ordered an identical PSU..but I will switch the RAM tonight and let you know the result.

Peace

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
After I looked up your PC I think its time to upgrade since that is an old model thats not dual core. Also what PSU did you order?

Soorena

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

After I looked up your PC I think its time to upgrade since that is an old model thats not dual core. Also what PSU did you order?

Soorena

Dual core? Forgive me, I presume the Dual core is better than my Celeron 2.5 Ghz processor?

I got the Hipro HPD2537F3R of fleabay for 16 bucks...in fact I got my whole system about 4 years ago for about 300 bucks...I plan on buying a new PC but I d like to resurrect my compaq and transfer the files from my harddrives.

Realistically, how much PC can I get for between 400-500 bucks? I m not a gamer...I dont need any new technology...I just wanna surf the web and have enough room on my harddrives for pics and music...

Oh...Vista or XP? Why?

Thanks for your replies...they are really helping...

P.S. I switched the Ram modules and PC didnt power on...I really think my PSU is dead...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, up the top I noticed you are asking about a $500-$600 build, in your last post $400-$500. We are talking about a $200 range in difference here. However, I have listed below a number of parts that would build you a new computer (tower only). If you were wanting to have a complete system (monitor, keyboard and mouse, speakers included) for this price, it would be rather pitiful. Have a look carefully at the specifications and prices, and let us know what you think. This would be, of course, ordering all of the parts listed below and building the machine yourself.

This system pretty much won't play 3D games (it's onboard video), but should be decent for what you want. It includes Vista, because it's new and you're building a new system. I personally wouldn't go putting an old OS on a new computer, but you could if you wanted to... Titles are clickable links so you can check out the information further.

Cooler Master case $49.99 ($29.99 after rebates)
OCZ 600W power supply $89.99 ($74.99 after rebates)
MSI motherboard $68.99
Intel Core 2 Duo processor $149.99
2GB Patriot RAM $76.99 ($36.99 after rebates)
Seagate 250GB hard drive $69.99
LG DVD Burner $28.99
Vista Home Premium 32-bit $104.99

Grand total of $639.92 and once all your rebates are back, your total is going to be $564.92.

This is reasonably cheap for a system and should give you decent performance. It's not the "latest and greatest" technology, but it should last you a while. Going any less than this will give a noticeable performance loss (unless anyone else can find a better deal on similar parts - if so, post here!).

And your current system - if it doesn't power up, then I would suspect the PSU. If it powered up and gave errors, then you could look at other parts, but if there's nothing at all, it sounds more than likely a new PSU will help. Let us know how it goes :)

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you all for your informative replies...nice to be at a forum with a wealth of info...

FYI...I already have monitors, headphones, keyboards, and mice...

I m still waiting on the PSU; I will start the process of buying and building a new PC...I ll be most intimated connecting the motherboard and HD fans..so, you'll probably be hearing ALOT from me the next few weeks.

Thanks again and happy holidays to all.

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi there, up the top I noticed you are asking about a $500-$600 build, in your last post $400-$500. We are talking about a $200 range in difference here. However, I have listed below a number of parts that would build you a new computer (tower only). If you were wanting to have a complete system (monitor, keyboard and mouse, speakers included) for this price, it would be rather pitiful. Have a look carefully at the specifications and prices, and let us know what you think. This would be, of course, ordering all of the parts listed below and building the machine yourself.

This system pretty much won't play 3D games (it's onboard video), but should be decent for what you want. It includes Vista, because it's new and you're building a new system. I personally wouldn't go putting an old OS on a new computer, but you could if you wanted to... Titles are clickable links so you can check out the information further.

Cooler Master case $49.99 ($29.99 after rebates)
OCZ 600W power supply $89.99 ($74.99 after rebates)
MSI motherboard $68.99
Intel Core 2 Duo processor $149.99
2GB Patriot RAM $76.99 ($36.99 after rebates)
Seagate 250GB hard drive $69.99
LG DVD Burner $28.99
Vista Home Premium 32-bit $104.99

Grand total of $639.92 and once all your rebates are back, your total is going to be $564.92.

This is reasonably cheap for a system and should give you decent performance. It's not the "latest and greatest" technology, but it should last you a while. Going any less than this will give a noticeable performance loss (unless anyone else can find a better deal on similar parts - if so, post here!).

And your current system - if it doesn't power up, then I would suspect the PSU. If it powered up and gave errors, then you could look at other parts, but if there's nothing at all, it sounds more than likely a new PSU will help. Let us know how it goes :)

Are there any alternatives to the LG DVD burner? It's just that I dont believe that LG is a proven, reliable brand yet.

Thank you for the foundation.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have a Pioneer drive, it's excellent quality and does the job nicely. It's only a few dollars more :)

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all..

The PSU arrived and I discovered the RAM module was no good for the motherboard...an expensive lesson!

MY PC powers up but all it does is BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...I am clueless as to what to do...does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not in the mood for spending on a new PC but now, I have no choice :)

I request further assistance as I build me a new PC from a post by Troy...I can use my dead PC as a guide while erecting my new PC...

my initial questions:

Will I need any special tools to build the PC?
Is it difficult to connect the processor to the motherboard?
What do I do to install Windows as my OS?...is it as easy as putting in the CD and following directions?
Will I be able to easily move my HDs to my new PC? or will i have to worry about partitioning?

Sorry about all the questions...

Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi, my answers are in bold:

Will I need any special tools to build the PC?

A good screwdriver should be all you need

Is it difficult to connect the processor to the motherboard?

It is not "difficult", but it is very important to take it careful and ensure the CPU is aligned correctly to the motherboard. Your parts will all come with instructions.

What do I do to install Windows as my OS?...is it as easy as putting in the CD and following directions?

Generally, it is that easy. Vista is large so it's on a DVD. Once everything is built properly, you should be able to boot from the DVD Burner and follow directions. You may need to enter the BIOS first and select the "Boot Order Priority" (or similar name) so the DVD Burner is selected before the hard disk.

Will I be able to easily move my HDs to my new PC? or will i have to worry about partitioning?

Once Vista is installed on your new computer and it is running fine, then I would install the old hard drives. Then you should be able to start the computer up and Vista should detect them and display them under "Computer".

As for your current problem, it sounds like you need to put some non-faulty RAM in.

I hope this helps :)

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dude, your help has been amazing!! You motivated me to buy and build a new PC...I ordered all the components yesterday...I ordered everything you suggested except the DVD writer...I decided to get the Samsung SATA...

Anyway, I will let you know the progress...believe me...I ll have LOTS more questions once I start the build...

Thanks for your knowledge...you are awesome Troy... :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, the Samsung is also a decent unit. I should have been a little more explicit when I was talking about the RAM for your current build, however. You can test the memory of a system by running a program called memtest86+, this is made into a bootable disc so Windows does not even load. Information on this is below. However, if your system will not even POST properly, then either your RAM is so incredibly stuffed or there is another error with the computer. Sometimes it can be very difficult to test these ones... :)

If you could be bothered having a go at your RAM (You just may learn something and fix it :)):

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

And thanks for the compliment! You definitely are welcome, I do enjoy it. There are plenty of helpful people on these forums, so I'll take it this compliment is for everyone. I'm sure your next few questions (about the build itself) may very well be answered by other members :)

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Youre probably right...I just know the initial problem was the RAM issue...I really believe I got a faulty RAM stick from Circuit City...and my mobo has been fried...I connected my old RAM sticks yesterday and the system just BEEPED...what a bummer!.

It was time to upgrade anyway....I solved the power up problem and now my system will not start...I decided to get that cheap $10 foxconn mobo and try to resurrect this system as my backup PC...I'm a bit bummed that I will probably have to purchase and reload XP :)

I'm happy that I ve become more confident when working on PC's...I even took apart my celeron processor yesterday...I couldnt believe how easy it was!

My only concern now is to recover the files from my old HDs and transfer them to my new system....This experience has also taught me the value of purchasing an external HD for file backup...

Well, my components shipped yesterday and I should have everything by Tuesday....I will keep you posted.

I ll try this memtest tonight...Thanks dude!

OGpmpdog

OGpmpdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all...I have another question...

I'm also trying to salvage my old PC...I'm trying to find a a cheap motherboard that is compatible with my Celeron R CPU...This motherboard supports celeron D but no mention of the R series...do you think I could use this mobo anyway?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813186129

If not, can someone help me find a cheap celeron R compatible mobo? I really dont wanna spend more than I have to...

Thanks.