Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"BackDoor Trojan" problrm

• Please log in to reply

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I have a problem on our other computer. Norton tells me it has a backdoor trojan but Norton cannot get rid of it. My husband called their tec support & they want $100.00 US to help him. He said "Isn't that why I bought Norton? So I would not have these problems" Now it is starting to do some weird stuff too. Suddenly word came open for no reason & then it was having problem opening completly. I tried downloading different things from the net but they didn't help or said that only the scan was free, if I wanted to remove the problems I would have to pay. But none of them told me that they had found the backdoor trojan anyway.

Can you help me please? You did such a good job on my last problem.

Thanks,
Sharon

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hey mrdusty007 and Welcome to Geeks To Go :)

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.

Good luck :)
~Matt

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

The infection we have is not on that list, so before I do anything I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. It is called "backdoor.trojan" I didn't call it this exactly in my fist message so I don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks for your help,
Sharon

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Hi,

The infection we have is not on that list, so before I do anything I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. It is called "backdoor.trojan" I didn't call it this exactly in my fist message so I don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks for your help,
Sharon

I guess you're talking about the self-removal guides? If you don't know which infection you have, or are uncomfortable getting rid of it yourself, it doesn't matter - when you post your log a helper will help you remove all the infections on your computer.

Edited by Matt T, 04 December 2007 - 08:55 PM.

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your help. It took a while to get it done because of a wedding & Christmas but I ran AVG in safe mode as is suggested & it got the trojan. thanks you so very much for all your help. Much appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Sharon