Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running very slow

• Please log in to reply

Harlem

Harlem

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Morning All

I am trying to fix my mates Laptop which is running incredibly slow

He and his family have been surfing without any Virus,Maleware Protection or proper system maintenance and have inevitablly ended up with Virus's, Maleware & spyware

Now I have managed to install AVG (from my external dirve) and am currently running it (So far it has picked up 2 Virus's - Dupe.drw.exe & Idle.owns.exe) but the virus checker itself is running extrememly slow and will take most of the day (at least) at this rate

Now my question is after checking for Virus's & Spy/Maleware (Which there defo is - there was a pop up earlier with the following info :- Worm.Win32.NetSky detected on your Machine. Teh worm has its own SMTP engine)

What would be the best course of action to try to get this Laptop back to its best
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT

OK I had been running AVG Virus Checker for almost 3 hours when the laptop decided it had had enought and shut its self down (went to a blue screen, with loads of info on it - Windows has suffered an .......... but didnt give me enought time to read it)

I have tried restarting AVG but everything is just so slow

And it shut down again about 5 mins ago

Any suggestions ??

Edited by Harlem, 03 December 2007 - 08:13 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
start in safe mode then run AVG....you should also look here...and after doing all that then post in the malware removal forum if your still having problems ...

Harlem

Harlem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for that

I moved in to safe mode just before you posted

Will see what the results are soon

Gazah

Gazah

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Another solution,

1)Start
2)Run
3)MSCONFIG
4)Startup

edited to remove potentially dangerous advice

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Murray

Harlem

Harlem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the further info guys

I have been busy downloading the following into my external drive to take to work with me tomorrow and install on to the laptop (the Laptop cannot be connected to the web at work)

Ad-Aware 2007
Comodo Firewall Pro
Super AntiSpyware
Winpatrol
ATF Cleaner
AVG Antivirus (Already Installed)
AVG Spyware (Already Installed)

I will also check the Startup config

and when all of that is done I will get the owner of the Laptop (when he is back online) to run Pandascan & Microsoft Update

thanks for the help

Edited by Harlem, 03 December 2007 - 12:31 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Another solution,

1)Start
2)Run
3)MSCONFIG
4)Startup

edited to remove potentially dangerous advice

Gazah,

Only the helpers trained in malware removal are permitted to give any type of malware advice on this forum. The advice you gave was not particularly helpful, as I've never seen a virus named virus.exe (our job would certainly be easier if that was the case). Please stick to basic computer help and stay away from offering malware advice.

Gazah

Gazah

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My way wasn't dangerous advice in anyway nor was it misleading, i had to use this as my Malware, anti couldn't pick up a program running in the process, it was impossible to close and this is how i removed it, it took so much RAM usage it slowed down my computer down alot and the virus.exe thing was just an example, although this method can be dangerous you should only get rid of utilities that you don't need like quick times, this is just one method of speeding up your PC.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It is misleading advice. Disabling a file in msconfig may stop it from running, but you still have a dangerous file on your PC. Also, if you are infected, you may not be able to identify all the bad files - many hide themselves. Advising someone to disable potential viruses is not effective advice, and you'll be lucky to find a virus that so obviously named. Much of the malware that is out there mimics legitimate file names, and isn't easily identifiable.