Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Import sound

• Please log in to reply

Ken Myers

Ken Myers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 lap top. I want to convert my tapes and LPs to CDs. When I plug in the cord to the sound card and start the Music I can not hear it and the software says no sound detected. I have Microsoft Plus and Roxio now loaded and neither one picks up the sound. I hear some noise that appears to be music but its not clear. would you know what I,m doing wrong? Thanks Ken

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Ken and welcome to geeks to go!

Make sure you have plugged the cord into the input (microphone) jack. Just checking this commonly overlooked item.

Ax

Ken Myers

Ken Myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your responce, Ax238.
I am plugged into the microphone jack and when I start the Tape playing my Software does not appear to pick it up. I can't here it on the speakers even though I know its playing. The Level Meter does not find a happy level, however the music is getting into the system. I just can't here it so I can't tell when 1 song ends and the next one begins. Is there some way to turn on the speakers while all this is taking place? The sound card is a Sigmatel unit. When I go into the sound controls, they are not muted and all the volume level are up. Needless to say I'm not enjoying the new software.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try these instructions:

To select an audio input device:
1. Open Speech in Control Panel.
2. On the Speech Recognition tab, click Audio Input.
3. Select either Use preferred audio input device or Use this audio input device.

Note
• To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.