Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't see Ebay

• Please log in to reply

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Help! I can not look at Ebay on my computer. All other computers in the office can see Ebay, when I try I get redirected to a Google search page. I have checked my settings and done the diagnostic steps the computer offers and nothing has helped. I am not blocked from any other sites (PayPal, banking, etc.) that I know of. Please help, I want to sell some stuff before we move. :)

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi, one thing you can try is that search for the file HOSTS which should be in the folder windows/system32/etc and open it with notepad, check to see whether the word ebay is in front of an address like:
22.22.23.22 ebay.com. This address is the actual address of the site and if you enter the text in front in the browser you will be directed to that site.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 03 December 2007 - 06:58 PM.

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
If you click here you will be directed to a page with the location of the Hosts file on different Operating Systems. The table is about half way down.

If there is a bunch of numbers (an IP address), just delete that line only and you should be fine.

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried these suggestions and still can not go to Ebay. This is what my HOSTS file looks like.

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
That seems fine. Do you have a router by any chance?

Soorena

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do have a router but all the computers in the office are on it. This morning I boldly told the computer to automatically assign itself an IP address and DNS. Immediately afterward I could go to Ebay! Problem is solved! Thanks for all the quick responses :)

nosurprise